20 Days out

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Johnny Canuck
Canada

20 Days out

Post by Johnny Canuck »

No I am not gonna post every day from now to Slickstock. But I was still nostalgic, so I wrote up my top 20 SS moments. here we go:

1) SS1-Foodstick had just finished the prototype LTD-Uni -that is a Unibody on an LTD frame. He was taking guys out on test drives to show them how it handled, when Garbz’ son David and I piled in with Lance. I really wanted to drive, but David was first. He took off like a bat out of hell, cutting in front of traffic with such fury I really had to hang on, not to fly out the open passenger window. Lance and I saw our lives flash before our eyes, and as soon as we got out of the truck we both near fell on the ground and kissed it. Then we found out David didn’t have a driver’s license yet. I didn’t get to drive the LTD uni until SS5

2) The show ‘n shine, and mud volleyball tournament at SS4. You really, really had to be there. ;)

3) Also at SS4. Everyone out sitting on the lawn, beside the hotel, enjoying a nice warm afternoon. A lone Honda Accord pulls thru the parking lot… rolls down his window and asks Mike Kimbrell “Hey.. is this some kind of car show?” Mike says “Nope! It’s a family reunion” :thumright:

4) SS1 Road trip to and from Iowa. Followed Vinnie towing his BBW uni, “Stella” from Billings MT to Ankeny IA and back. Had a fantastic time travelling with Vinnie and his buddy. My wife had to step over my aluminum trim alongside her seat in the car the whole way there, and never bent it either. Bonus!

5) Meeting everyone for the first time at SS1. What a weird feeling.. and a great bunch of people.

6) Taking a ride in Merle’s pro street, at SS2. Take your shoes off!! Amazing the cops never found us LOL, and more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Just ask the hotel manager at SS3.. she will never forget it.

7) Taking a ride in Ken’s mean Nascar truck at SS4. Wow. Nothing like it in this whole club.

8.) Driving nearly everyone’s slick.. Including Christine at SS2. Never got to Mike Kimbrell’s though. Those 3 deuces spook me LOL. And of course.. Farmer Bill and the XL-F100

9) Standing in the parking lot at SS1, all alone, just me and Gerry (Casey65), after everyone took off to the cruise in at a hamburger place and left us two there, without a ride. Luckily Gerry has a sense of humor so we filled in just fine without them, anyway

10) Watching Banjo and his daughter with their valve cover racing rig at the 2nd SS.. his had CD’s for wheels. They had such a great time… hard to describe. Touching.

11) Walking with Garbz and Tim (his seeing-impaired buddy) thru Gettysburg. What a once in a lifetime experience.. Banjo in full Civil war costume

12) Riding back with Carl in his 460 powered ’57 with stock drum brakes, back from Gettysburg. An arse-puckering experience for sure!

13) Standing in the parking lot chatting with the Iceman at about dusk in KC for SS3.. when this little black stock original shortbox ’65 pulls up. Out pours a giant hulk of a man, with a slurpee in one hand and a smoke in the other. His name was Cam. He had a great sense of humor. We all miss him.

14) This farmer in overalls and his wife show up at SS3, -just for the afternoon-, in this stock red ’61 4x4. They stayed for the duration. He made a valve cover racer out of the valve cover of the truck they arrived in. Had it signed by everyone there. Asks me if I’m Johnny Canuck, and he has a joke for me. Nice meeting ya Pat!

15) This Aussie guy comes up to me.. says hey you wanna see something funny? Shows me a video of the above farmer singing Karaoke in the bar. He sounds just like Louie Armstrong. The Aussie and I laugh and laugh. We became great friends. Sneak off to the bar when we can.

16) Watching Dan (mad max) race his 300 six Bumpside at the KC drag strip at SS3. First he has to borrow someone’s long pants to comply with the rules. Then, he beats several late model Chevs in the drags to boot. Got to ride there and back with with the Truckfarmer. We race Dean, driving Ezer’s Bumpside back. Ezer is freaking out, because that truck was his hotel room for the duration of SS3

17) Riding in Hoofbeat racer’s Truck at SS5. Yowsa. Shut the front door, and hold on!!

18) All the show n shines we attend, and take over, at all the SS’s. Nearly as much fun as a man can have with his clothes on. And all the good times at restaurants, too.

19) Greg ships me Jinx in December of ’03. I sell Jinx to Dean in Spring of ’06. Dean brings Jinx to SS4. I finally have a truck at Slickstock.. I just don’t own it anymore.

20) Standing all alone in the hotel parking lot, listening to the crickets chirp, after SS2 in York. 4 hours til my flight back to Canada. Sigh. I go up to the room.. the phone rings. Chuck Miller and his wife want to take me for a tour of the city, and buy me supper. Made me feel like a long- lost relative.

Soooo many more memories… the Gatorade induced Zeppelin disaster… The amazing Bubbles impression... the International Carb rebuilding society.. Wyatt’s Italian sausages… I really could go on and on. But there’s 20 reminisces in honor of 20 days away from Slickstock 6.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Toyz
United States of America

Re: 20 Days out

Post by Toyz »

Keep 'em coming , JC, appears I missed a hell of a lot!
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

One of my favorite memories....
SS 3 .... JC. & I were walking through a car show
Looking at a FORD car , it has the dizzy on the BACK of the engine...
And it is NOT A 292 .... (Chebby)
JC says " I wish I needed to take a crap"
I say " what ? ...why ?"
He says " so I could set it on his air cleaner " :cussing:

Good times... Good times
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Ahh...Captain Morgan and the Zeppelin disaster.. I believe they wrote songs about that...

I will never forget that abandoned couch by the dumpster in KC 2 years ago.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

slick4x4 wrote:One of my favorite memories....
SS 3 .... JC. & I were walking through a car show
Looking at a FORD car , it has the dizzy on the BACK of the engine...
And it is NOT A 292 .... (Chebby)
JC says " I wish I needed to take a crap"
I say " what ? ...why ?"
He says " so I could set it on his air cleaner " :cussing:

Good times... Good times

:lol: Who ? Lil' ol Me? th_maniacal.gif :cheers:

and I remember that couch too, 'Stick
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I remember that couch as well..........and why no one sat on it!, now Fergo don`t forget that Mark was also featured on the Karaoke play list, they both did us proud at the final Slick Stock Karaoke contest! :lol:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif