Should I move to Canada

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Should I move to Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Doc: Canada is not ready for you..........may I suggest Roswell, NM??
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Doc, I`d think long and hard about moving to Canuckland, go and stand in a coolroom for an hour or so and see if you can stand it, all Fergo`s hair snap froze and broke off and that was spring time!!, and that part about us all being criminals isn`t quite true either, that's just my sock tan...truly!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i would keep driving thru all the way to Alaska

no taxes other than some towns have sales tax
get paid from oil every year - close to $2K this year
over 65 gets up to $250 per month from state
most folks speak American there
some Indians but your used to that
you can have the coyote
with a sled he can pull you in the winter

that said i know of a place for sale in Canada i would not mind having
restaurant-motel-gas and repair shop.
no power lines,it all runs off generators.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Alan Mclennan wrote: all Fergo`s hair snap froze and broke off and

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

glad i wasnt drinking anything while reading that
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Doc, as a little test before committing to this move may I suggest the following:

Go to your favorite local beverage sales emporium and stand in the beer vault for 4 to 5 hours. If that is agreeable, you will know what a warm summer in Canadadia is like. If it didn't agree with you 100%, rethink your plan.

As a second test, can you end every sentence with the word: eh?

Do you like hockey, I mean really, really like hockey?

Give this some thought.

If you like it hot, rainy, cold, snowing, windy, still, humid, dry and like cheap land and housing, consider Iowa. We pretty much let anyone in, especially people from climates like yours. Please understand that it's not that we welcome you, it just gives us something to talk about watching you drive in the winter and is cheap entertainment for us. Plus you'll find that Iowans pretty much drive wherever they want so that left side/right side thing isn't much of a problem here.

SPark
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

1: What drawbacks can I expect if I move to your country.
Well the whole of the East , and the left coast of BC is full of goddang liberals, and they ain't just the mickey mouse , "we want universal healthcare" liberals you are used to in the States. Uh, uh. These crazy buggers want to shut down anything that makes a nickle in this country, period.
And they are damn serious about it. They figure by taxing the sh!t out of the whole population, except the native population, they can pay for any stupid dang thing their idiot minds can come up with. And to hell with the things that ACTUALLY make money

2: What benefits can I expect.
You can expect to be mocked relentlessly for your accent. Up here we have no accent. That is why we secretly own your TV waves. 3/4 of the people Americans watch on TV are Canadian by birth., and have no accent. See how that works.

3: Do I have to rename my slick a Mercury to bring it with me.
Heck no we have Fords here too, they are just not worth their weight in Gold like Mercurys are.. Mercury trucks and Fargo trucks were actually worth LESS in resale until eBay found out about us.

4: Is it true you pay property taxes, income taxes, health insurance taxes.
See above. Many consecutive Liberal Governments mean we pay taxes on things you just cannot imagine. It's a Liberal thing that we pay taxes on General sales. What are General sales? (GST) I have not a clue- but the government spends it every year on incredibly stupid stuff like you just can't imagine.... every day there is a new report on how the government spent a mil on this or lost 13 million on that... there really is no accounting to the people here. The government just do whatever the hell they please. So most of us just stay drunk, but they tax the pi$$ out of that too.

5: Can I bring the coyote.
Yes.As long as you call him a Ky oat. NOT a Ky Otee.

6: Can an old Gringo own property in Canada.
Yes, So long as the natives don't have a claim to it. The bonus is, they don't pay taxes, so if you could prove you were a -native- Gringo you'd be laughing all the way to the bank. One of the Indian chiefs here gets $914,219 tax free a year, to run a band of 80 people. Good work if you can scam it

7: Does it actually snow 9 months a year. We got snow once here in Tucson. It lasted only 4 hours, but it was still long enough for the Governor to declared it a national emergency.
It literally snows here 9 months a year... and I have seen snow in July and August before. If snow or hockey or fat women scare you, well ,this may not be the place for you. But there is beer to help you deal with hockey, and fat women to help you deal with snow.
PS I know you were married to a Canadian woman at one time Doc. That would have been your ticket to liberal welfare for life. What were you thinking?
Was she too skinny?
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on August 3, 2014, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
pikupmn
United States of America

Post by pikupmn »

JC that was funny as hell....although very infomative. hate that i won't get to meet you at SS this time. Jeff11298
it's never too late to have a happy childhood

1966 Long Box 5/8 ton wha.gif
2012 F150 XLT Super Crew 3.5 TWIN TURBO ......yee haw
2000 Road King
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Liberals and cold weather?

Sounds like my kind of place!
Working on a '66 F100 with a '71 240 and the original three-on-the-tree...
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

Move to New Mexico. No one cares if you have a coyote, drive an old truck, or are into free energy. No one really appears to care what anyone else is doing, for the most part. The weather is about the same as where you are at, and you wouldn't have to drive very far.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Consider Eastern Oregon, too. Gorgeous, very unpopulated, utterly Liberatrian (the best kind of liberals and the best kind of conservatives), and rust-free trucks abound.

I bought a '75 Jeep Cherokee outside of North Powder for $2000. It had a 258 I-6, twin-stick Dana 18, factory 44s, and 68K original miles. Not a spot of cancer to be found. A year later, my wife wrapped it around a tree.

She didn't make.

My wife did... And I'm still mad at her!

Hey-O! Thanks everybody! Try the veal!
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I hear Saskatchewan is a good place to start looking around Canada from..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veu-Cm7aHMw
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Doc Pepper wrote:I would like to see how far north I can drive until there are no other people around me.

somewhere close to 70% of the Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border.
once you are north of that area there are far more bears,moose and other critters than people.

the most difficult thing about Canada in my opinion is having to do math in your head everywhere you go
gas is sold by the litre
road signs are in kilometres
so are speed limit signs
temperature is in celsius which really makes it seem colder than it is
1966 F250 4x4
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
ThinLizzy13
United States of America

Post by ThinLizzy13 »

From Johnny's description I feel like I'm living in Canada, it sounds just like upstate NY lol.

Oregoon - it sounds like you live in a Utopia. No people and old rust free trucks everywhere? I'm in. The Libertarian aspect just makes it sound even sweeter lol.
'63 F100 223 3OT
‘20 F150 XL
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

Yeah, the Central and Eastern parts of my state are stunningly pretty, largely arid, and home to very few people. Southern Oregon is similarly populated, and extremely scenic.

The downside of both places is the near total lack of an economy.

Due to such a constraint I live in Portland, which is a wonderful place as far as cities go: Tons of brew-pubs, music venues, bike-paths, and access to as much fishing, hiking, paddling, rock-climbing, mountaineering, and snow-sports as a person could want. It's an almost over-bearingly tolerant place to live--art abounds, festivals are commonplace, public nudity is yawningly frequent--so the partially dismantled trucks that litter my property don't even raise an eyebrow.

Still, I'd prefer to be in La Grande or Bend, but the job prospects out there are grim and my kids are firmly entrenched here. And we don't salt the roads here in Oregon, so even here on the wet, westside of the Cascades, it's pretty easy to find largely rust-free cars and trucks.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Alan Mclennan wrote:I hear Saskatchewan is a good place to start looking around Canada from..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veu-Cm7aHMw

Tough to spell, easy to draw.

Though if you were to become a Saskatchewanite the pronunciation of coyote that JC mentioned earlier would need to be adjusted even further, to "ky-YOOT". Also, in the somewhat unlikely event that "hooded sweatshirt" is in your vocabulary, you'd want to replace that with "bunnyhug" straight away.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

There is a required uniform in Saskatchewan of a John Deere hat and stretchy brown pants too.
Other than that, you wouldn't have to drive too far north to find yourself surrounded only by prairie and gophers (and Ky oots)
Plus , just like AZ, they ain’t havin’ none of that newfangled Daylight savings time there neither!
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

down here, coyote is pronounced Dingo!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
ras4434
United States of America

Post by ras4434 »

What a hoot....after I stopped laughing and went to the bathroom I came back to try to add to the seriousness......Started laughing at Doc and Johnny again and decided to just smile. You guys are the best and not sarcastic at all which I love.
Ross Swearingen
1965 F100 "MIKI"
1965 F100 4x4 looking for a new home
Oregoon

Post by Oregoon »

I could live down near where Ras lives.

One of my best friends lived in Holley, OR for several years. We'd swim and fish in the Upper Calapooia. I know where there's a massive petrified tree you can stand on, hard as iron, and it's hanging just under the water, waist deep over a green pool where trout rise to a fly at dusk.

And there was work to be had in Eugene, Albany, Corvallis, Salem, and the woods around there.

Those were some good days! I spent a year down in Eugene, happy and free. Three more back here in Portland, delivering engines to the farms, logging companies, and hobbyists around the Willamette Valley. Great times, for sure...

Oregonians are lucky.

Wait, I mean, no work here. Rains all the time. Nothing to see here. Move along.
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Doc Pepper wrote:Is it true that you have to purchase your sunlight from North Dakota?

False. The Canadian prairies have a surplus and actually export it. But the government got a little used to the extra income and exported a bit too much, hence the cold. But thankfully it is a dry cold.

Doc Pepper wrote:Do sandals really require snow treads?

Only when paired with wool socks.

Doc Pepper wrote:Do you really have to register your mosquitoes at animal control?

Popular misconception. Although some are large enough to be considered a house pet, they are actually considered property of the Crown, and therefore cannot be privately owned.

Doc Pepper wrote:Do I really have to mount a snow plow on my slick to get it registered?

No, but it helps. Plus you'd qualify for a sweet fleece-lined parka. "Mr. Plow" embroidery is optional, but recommended.

Doc Pepper wrote:Oh yes, and what the heck is a block warmer?

It's an electric heater used to melt large blocks of ice for drinking water. The act of harvesting these blocks is known as "ice fishing".