Something a little differnet.

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

LM14
United States of America

Something a little differnet.

Post by LM14 »

This is video of the Honda/Integra I've been helping a friend with.

When we had it on the chassis dyno, it made 613HP at 10,000 RPM thu the FRONT wheels after initial break-in. With the help of Skype, he had a Honda racing injection and turbo expert tune the injectors and turbo electronic waste gates (while sitting at his desk in New Jersey) and at the same time the chassis dyno operator (sitting in the car in Iowa) worked with timing and fuel pressures thru phone instruction from those experts in California. Totally amazing technology to me. After 2 hours we were up to 824HP at 12,000 and were only running the primary bank of injectors, half the available boost and a restrictive intercooler.

After we left the dyno he added more electronic controls to better control the second bank of injectors, increased the boost (think he is at 24# now, can go to 36# if I remember correctly), added a bigger intercooler and changed the air intake system. Conservative estimates are now at 1000HP (that's with a stock crank, head and block). This thing runs on E98 alcohol. He shifts manually and he has more computer in this car than NASA owns. It is an incredible little car. It's NHRA certified to 200MPH for the chassis construction.

My involvement in it has been some sheetmetal fabrication, consultant on oil line, intercooler and intake plumbing, I also do his setup for the chassis and keep it squared up and proper percentages and alignment on all 4 corners. Would hate to guess what he has invested in this little car.

SPark

For your viewing pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nfpP6p ... re=related
1932 Ford 5 window coupe. 302/C4
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was
2013 F150 Super Crew Eco Boost 4x4
2015 Ford Edge for the little lady, because she said so!
2007 Mustang GT, 4.6-3V/5 Speed. Only 8680 miles on the clock.

More toys, I need more toys!!!
The Big M
Canada

Re: Something a little differnet.

Post by The Big M »

Wow, fantastic numbers! I'm thinking "stock" may only refer to the castings though. ;)

Still, incredibly impressive for something that made 170 hp from the factory. I've always thought those cars were ahead of their time. Aluminum block and head, four-wheel independent suspension, discs on all four corners, and variable valve timing, all in a lightweight package that responded well to tuning.

If he's running at stock displacement that's north of 550 hp per litre. 8)
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

It's stock bore and stroke. Has aftermarket cam, rods and pistons. I was surprised at how many stock parts are used in the engines. Most of the aftermarket is in the induction system and venting the oil system for when the boost pushes past the rings (which happens about mid track every run).

SPark
1962 8V-390/C6 Unibody Short Bed Soon to be Big Window - The Lincoln that never was

The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

Cool, I've seen these sleeved out to 2.0 L and was wondering if he might have done the same.
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Had several ask questions so I got some current info in this thing.

Block is sleeved to the 2.0 size.

Turbo is 72mm which is the class limit.

Running 30# of boost but creeping up to 40# over the next few races. If you watch the video above closely, you can see the cars "move" in the lanes. They had a 35-50MPH wind coming out from behind the grandstand at the end of the stip. He said there was more in the car but at 1000' you spent more time driving and less pushing the pedal. You can see him pop the chute to keep the car straight and he usually doesn't need the chute to stop. Said the wind was a bit scary and some just raced to the 750-1000' mark and shut it off. He's used to driving sprint cars on dirt so all he said he needed was a little dirt track driving at 150MPH on the top end.

SPark