Hybrid - Top Bar / Langstroth Hives

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

9Fingers
United States of America

Hybrid - Top Bar / Langstroth Hives

Post by 9Fingers »

I've been diverted from the 65 F100 4x4 recently to build these hybrid hives.

Wanted a different color than the traditional white, so I tried to match the color of the Slick.

Tops are made from a roll of aluminum used to trim out windows, facia boards, etc..

Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower
Lowell
United States of America

Re: Hybrid - Top Bar / Langstroth Hives

Post by Lowell »

Thanks for posting that.sure looks different than the wood boxes I used years ago
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Not like the ones I've ever seen
Are they more efficient ?
I don't know much about bees
But I do like honey !
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Have you seen the Australian design hives, Flow Hives I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_pj4cz2VJM
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
9Fingers
United States of America

Post by 9Fingers »

These are one story boxes and longer. The biggest difference is that I made the top portion of each individual frame, to work like a top bar hive, but also used the sides and bottom from regular langstroth frames. The top bar hives rely on the top bar to seal the top of the box(langstroth hives have a separate cover), all bars are the same width, bees draw out natural comb. Often beekeepers will give them some guidance by placing small starter strips of premade wax foundation on the bottom of those bars. The hives lend themselves to quick access to the brood chamber without unstacking the traditional langstroth multi story hives. It should save time when working the hives and be easier on your back, those boxes can get heavy. The downside to traditional top bars is that you essentially destroy the comb when taking the honey. With the langstroth frames and reinforced foundation with wires, you take the honey by skimming the wax caps off the top of the comb with a heated knife and spinning the honey out in an extractor, or big centrifuge. And your bees reuse the wax comb and can start filling it with honey again and not wasting resources and energy to make new wax. This length box will hold 60% more frames in the brood chamber and about the same amount of super frames as two boxes you would see stacked on top in a langstroth hive for honey storage.

It took more time up front to build them, I'm still analyzing cost, but right now it's a little less than equal space in Langstroth boxes, the big win I'm hoping is time savings every visit to the hive from now on.

Moving these will be a chore, if pollinating business is the desire, but I've got a plan for the 65 F100 and a small hand pumped hydraulic lift/swinging crane arm, but that's down the road a ways.

Alan, I have seen those hives you had a link to. Very nice setup.
Always know where you will be, when you get where you're going - Jerry Clower