1964 steering column rebuild help

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Necco-2

1964 steering column rebuild help

Post by Necco-2 »

dose anyone have a good diagram of the brake down of a 1964 F100 3 speed on the column steering column. I want to rebuild mine. I have some new parts that I bought and an old column that's a basket case.
bird55
United States of America

Re: 1964 steering column rebuild help

Post by bird55 »

First place to look is the 64 ford truck manual. It shows everything you would need, I think. Honestly I haven't rebuilt mine but if I did I would sure do my research. From all the diagrams I've seen it looks pretty complicated at the steering box end! Good luck and let us know as you are working on it. Pics would be appreciated. It is the recirculating ball type. I can only imagine the chaos that might happen as soon as all those ball bearings got loose! Hopefully that won't happen to you.
An old mechanic friend told me to pump it full of wheel bearing grease to insure it was lubed-but also to control things when you start dis-assembly.
Necco-2

Re: 1964 steering column rebuild help

Post by Necco-2 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not going into the box just the column. I don't have the truck manual but I have seem pictures that others have posted. Most cover several years including automatics and they are not clear. I was just hoping that someone had the diagram of just the 64 3 sp.on the column set up. Thanks