Rear Front Spring Hanger Flip?

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

luckystiff
United States of America

Rear Front Spring Hanger Flip?

Post by luckystiff »

Anybody got pics/info on the rear front hanger flip? I've already done the axle flip and am probably 4-6" from where I need to be still. I've seen some say flip them upside down and some say flip side to side.

I've done the Jag XJS front notched a few inches into the frame up front and to get the back where it needs to be i'm still a ways away. If it helps give a visual with everything mocked up for the rear axle at ride height would be setting about half way into the frame rail :lol: :lol: :lol: (step notch is on it's way from Welder series).

This is for the rusty 62 big window uni..ken....
chaddilac

Re: Rear Front Spring Hanger Flip?

Post by chaddilac »

Sid over at droppedaxles.com told me to not do the axle flip on the rear... only do the front hanger flip and then reverse the main leaf eye and it gets you down without having to notch the frame.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

no way i'm not notching the frame.

with the truck blocked at what will be ride height the rear axle would set about 1-2" into the frame rail to be at it's ride center and then it needs actual travel height....ken...
Indy63

Post by Indy63 »

Keep an eye on driveshaft clearance at the center crossmember. You will probably have to notch it going as low as it sounds like you want to go.

You'd have to run longer shackles in addition to flipping the hangers to get your 4" of drop. Other solutions would be dearching the springs and reversing the eyes, pulling a couple leafs on each side, lowering blocks, or any combination of those if you're sticking with parallel leaf springs. With springs this old there's no exact recipe for it as they're all sagged a bit differently.

Don't forget to re-do your shock mounts. The factory mounts will be beyond useless.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

hmmmm... the main reason I was considering the hangar flip is most of what I read says it usually yields a 3-4" drop.

yeah I figure it's gonna take a lot of playing with a little of this and a little of that to get exactly where I want.

the perches i'm using can be ordered in 1-2" taller than the normal perch so that'll preempt a blocks to some extent.

my day job is working at a hot rod shop so whatever needs to be done is no big deal. I was just under the impression the front hanger flip got me the closest to my target along with the axle flip.

kinda thinking with all this maybe I should have stuck to my original plan and done the jag rear also :lol: :lol: ...ken....
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Since the axle is already flipped, how about lowering blocks?
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

I don't mind getting some of it from blocks but typically don't like using more than 2" of blocks. prefer not to use any if possible to get the drop other ways. i'll probably throw it together as is first to see exactly how much more it will need. then experiment from there. worse case scenario the front flip doesn't get enough and I put them back the way they were with grade 8s and move to the next theory....ken....
ROOSTER
United States of America

Post by ROOSTER »

Question fellas,
Won't you have to shim the axle to change the pinion angle back :?: I'm thinking that flipping that hanger will move that pinion at least 3-4 degrees. I was thinking about doing that myself.
Dave
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Check Ezernuts build for pics...
ROOSTER
United States of America

Post by ROOSTER »

Rusty 63 wrote:Check Ezernuts build for pics...

Just went through all 9 pages. didn't see any thing about this. Can you provide a link?
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

I'm actually surprised he hasn't posted them here. Search hos posts with images - he generally shares whenever this topic comes up.
luckystiff
United States of America

Post by luckystiff »

ROOSTER wrote:Question fellas,
Won't you have to shim the axle to change the pinion angle back :?: I'm thinking that flipping that hanger will move that pinion at least 3-4 degrees. I was thinking about doing that myself.
Dave

I haven't given it much thought as i'm using an explorer 8.8 and have to move the perches and will mock it in and set my pinion as needed.

if doing an axle flip your going to be moving the perches to the other side of the axle also so just mock it in and tack the perches with the pinion set and the pull it back out and weld the perches solid......ken....
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

ROOSTER wrote:Question fellas,
Dave

I did the front hanger flip on my friend's 72 and I had to shim the pinion 12 degrees to get it back where it was. He doesn't have any vibration in the driveline at all.
Flipping the front hanger lakes a noticeable difference in the pinion angle. You can see the change.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
Papa Dink 64
United States of America

Post by Papa Dink 64 »

Hey, I just bought a '64 that has had the front spring hangers flipped. I'm not real proud of the work but like I said, it was like that when I bought it. My frame bumpers sit right down on my rear dif. I'm going to "C" notch the frame. I'm going to use .365 wall pipe and 3/8 plate for gussets. My front axle has been stretched 4 inches and the truck sits beautifully. I've got photos of my truck in the gallery, its the one that says uncle Lumpy's plumbing on the side of the door. I can think of better ways of lowering trucks, but since its already done, I'm going to make the best of it.