Tailgate latch relocation diy

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

daleshotrodshop
United States of America

Tailgate latch relocation diy

Post by daleshotrodshop »

I am installing a tailgate cover on the 1966 F100 Fleetside shop truck so I began thinking of how to relocate the handle. I decided to I was going to fabricate a hidden handle like Mar-k does. Once I got the tailgate apart my plans changed and the wheels in my head began to slowly turn.

The latches have a 3/4" inch slot 1/4" wide so a 1/4" carriage bolt fits in the slot and has some adjustment.
I used 1/4" carriage bolts 1 1/2" long I then triple nutted them. The triple nutting allows the clamping knob to tighten against the top of the three nuts. I also removed one coil on the latch spring, this makes it a little easier to release for my wife. The spring could be eliminated but I like the latch to snap back just makes it a simple when closing.

I marked the tailgate. (My dimensions were 1/4 inch different left to right so do not count on these dimensions to be the same truck to truck.)

I drilled two 1/4" holes 1 1/4" on center apart.

I then used a cut off wheel to cut out the slot.

I assembled it using the plates from a 1 1/2" u-bolt clamp as washers. These gave it some extra structure and a finished look (I am going to powder coat them white)

I am currently using the clamp nuts from my router table. I am thinking some white anodized billet knobs that would give it a nice finished look.

Works great, my wife tried it and she likes how easy it was to open. The tailgate cover and rear pan should be here next week.
I am open to ideas for knobs.
If we learn from our mistakes I should be Einstein by now.
6ftdwn57

Re: Tailgate latch relocation diy

Post by 6ftdwn57 »

Simple yet genius. I love it. I will be "stealing this" come time to skin and shave my gate. Good stuff!
66 Layin Low