Another Headliner How-To

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

SteveCanup
United States of America

Another Headliner How-To

Post by SteveCanup »

I had a catalog from a Ford parts supplier that had the dimensions (width and length and basic shape) of the original headliners. So...not having $150 for a new one...plus $$$ for shipping, I went to Lowes Hardware and bought a 4 x 8 sheet of brown mar-lite board (that's what I call it). It is 1/8 inch thick. I believe it was less than $10. I used the measurements from the parts supplier's catalog to cut out a 'template' and after installing, removing, repeat, repeat, repeat...including trimming here and there, I had a headliner board that fit. I still had the original headliner clips at the front of the cab into which the mar-lite slipped perfectly and there was a 'ledge' at the back top of my cab that the board set on. I made the headliner to be fairly flat, but it does bend down just a little at the outer edges just above the doors, also I did have to flex it a little to get it in. Luckily my father-in-law was available to help me with the install. After I had the headliner board the way I wanted it, I went to the local fabric store (Joanne's Fabrics) and bought 2 yards of the black foam headliner material and used contact cement from Walmart. Brush the cement onto the board then with a helper lift and lay the headliner onto the board and smooth it flat. I left approximately 18 inches hanging down in the back which I tucked around the back window. Now, you can use whatever fabric, etc that you want to cover the board. It's not factory original...but I think it looks better. Total cost was about $36 = $10 for the board and about $20 for the fabric and $6 for the cement.
1964 F-100
Mr. Jones

Re: Another Headliner How-To

Post by Mr. Jones »

With that white steering wheel and shifter knob,who cares about headliners.There so cool,I want'em
My hands are always dirty,so that's never gonna happen.Just too cool......
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Mr. Jones, that steering wheel used to be nasty, dirty, cracked and red.... I wondered if I really wanted it white. So it is white, but when working on the truck I find that I have to clean my hands before driving it.
1964 F-100
SRSControls
United States of America

Post by SRSControls »

That's pretty cool Steve, looks great!

Care to share the drawing with the dimensions?? praying.gif

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

SRSControls....would I be violating copyright laws by scanning and posting pics from a Ford part suppliers catalog? If not, sure I would post the pics with dimensions. Btw, it was a Dennis Carpenter Catalog and they will ship you one free of charge. Just go to www.dennis-carpenter.com. and request one.
1964 F-100
SRSControls
United States of America

Post by SRSControls »

I just might have one of those lyin' around here somewhere......

"If you didn't pay to buy the parts, sweat and shed your own blood to build it, pay to register it, and pay to insure it, your opinion of it is of no matter to me."

"This is the Hotrod section....we drive our trucks. The trailer queens are over there!"

64 F-100 Short Bed (Under Construction)
Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit #16
Industrial Chassis Brake Pedal Kit
"Top Secret" drive train
65styleside
United States of America

Post by 65styleside »

Nice man, I've been thinking about using wood instead or frp or abs, I thought it would hold its shape better in the heat of the summer. Did the stuff you used bend easily in the vertical section of the b-pillar area?
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Yes, it bent fairly easily. The stuff is 1/8 inch thick, so it is thin enough to bend. You have to be careful though, because it will break if bent to far. Frp might be a better option. I didn't think about using that until I read about it on here. We used that stuff to cover walls in a restaurant that I managed back in the early '90's.
1964 F-100
65styleside
United States of America

Post by 65styleside »

So I went and got a sheet of the frp, cut out the patterns, and spent the rest of the day getting my butt kicked by this thing. The b pillar pieces where easy, little heat gun action and they laid in nicely. The main roof piece was total pain in the butt.

My advice:
1. Get you headliner trimmed and fit before you paint if at all possible.

2. If you have already painted, put two or three layer of masking tape over all the metal anywhere near where the headliner will mount.

3. Get a helper, it will save you a lot of time and frustration.
Good luck.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

65Styleside...yep, it helps to have a helper. My father-in-law helped me with my install. It is good to have two guys, one on each side, to lift and work the headliner in place. Even with one of the pre-made aftermarket headliners, I would think that you would want two guys to install it. Even with two of us it still was a pain...a lot of clenching and pinching....
1964 F-100