Fuel Filler Door - Bedside

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Max
United States of America

Fuel Filler Door - Bedside

Post by Max »

A lot of folks are removing the tank inside the cab and replacing it with a tank underneath the bed in the rear. I did this to mine but have struggled with how to run the filler neck. I wasn't a huge fan of having the filler in the floor of the bed even though some folks have done a great job doing that. I wanted to pull into the gas station, flip the door open and fill it up just like a modern truck. This shows how I did mine.

I used a filler door from a 1980 F-100 and had to trim it very tight around the recessed door pocket to make it work. A '78 or '79 F100, 150, 250 Truck or Bronco would be easier since the curve of the bed matches ours perfectly.

This was the initial trimming to square it up. I eventually trimmed it a second time when I realized the curve didn't match our beds:

Now onto the scary part - cutting a hole in an otherwise immaculate short bed. I ended up measuring about 53 times, plus figuring out how the hose would route to the tank:

Here you can see the final trim on the recessed piece. Had to make sure it was exactly in the center of the curve or crown on the bedside:

Using a 4" cut-off wheel, just took my time and trimmed it square. You can see the paint blistering where it got hot:

No turning back now:

Sanded and deburred the edges for a clean weld:

New filler panel positioned in and clamped tight:

Weld in very small sections doing a spot here and spot there. Tedious but very important:

Finished welding:

My favorite part, making it look pretty. 80 grit flap disc on an angle grinder:

Temporary fit of door. It will be flush when it's bolted in and the rubber bumpers are in. After pic was taken, I smoothed everything over again with an air sander to minimize any body filler:

Next part is the basket holding the filler neck on the inside. I'm making my own out of 22 ga. steel and using a filler neck from a 1998 Crown Vic. It has a 1" diameter fill tube which will allow the fuel hose to run directly to the tank with a mild s-turn and fit under the bed/over the frame rail without any kinking.

Hope this helps some folks in this same area.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

That looks cool.. Now that is also strange because I just did the same thing to my truck this weekend... I used the door off of a bronco. I didn't take any pictures tho. :D
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Max - That looks outstanding!
I have been debating moving the tank in the Uni and doing this to it too. I think on the Uni I would use a round door though. On a regular styleside I'd use the square too though.
Don't ask me why - just seems right.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Max, Looks good. I agree with you on having a gas filler door in the bed. It is cleaner look in the bed, but trying to fill up with a load in the bed, on a rainy day, worrying about dragging the fuel hose across the bed side, this is more practical for me.

I got a filler door looks a lot like that off a mid 80's ranger. I got the basket with mine, now just need to get a tank and filler hose.

How was the gauge of the metal for your filler surround compared to the slick bed?

How about a pic a few feet back, so we can see the whole side of the truck?
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

WOW Max. Looks Great!!!!!! What timing, I just came in the house for lunch from working on a fuel filler door.. LOL I'm also using a 80's door.. This will be a big help. I'm going to try to use the original neck with a grommet through the interior bed side.
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Gauge of metal from the 80's truck was a bit thinner than ours, maybe 18 ga. if even that much.

I'm not using the filler neck that came with this door because the diameter is too large and would hang down too much. Can't bend a 2" fuel hose too much, especially one that has the wire wrapped interior like I'm using. When finished this will sit just to the right and above the tire and I do not want any chance whatsoever of the tire from spring travel knocking anything loose. It's part of why this took me so long to figure out. I also didn't want to have to modify the bed for the hose travel to the tank.

I wanted a filler hose as thin as possible and if you look at most modern pickups, the filler tube is barely an inch in diameter. Just vent it well and your tank will fill like a drunken sailor on payday.

I'll post pics of the basket when I get it made along with the filler neck from the Crown Vic. Has a nice vent tube already on it.

I can't back up because there isn't anymore room in my garage. My back was literally against the shelves on the wall when I was welding. I'll take one from the rear when I get a chance, that might help.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

No rush on my part. I am still working on smoothing out dents in my fenders. I guess I'm going front to back on my bodywork.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Max, that is some real nice work you did on the truck and the how to lay out!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

very nice indeed. i will not be trying this at home, because it would not turn out anything like that with me behind the welding mask.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
65Lover
United States of America

Great work!!

Post by 65Lover »

That looks great, Max!! Put your truck in the projects & builds section. Start from the beginning of course, with lots of pics!! :D What year is your truck?
Ruth
'65 F-100 Custom Cab SB Styleside
'67 Ford Mustang FB
'68 Mercury Cougar

Slickstock Altoona Iowa
Slickstock Salina Kansas