tank cleaning

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Chefsonfire

tank cleaning

Post by Chefsonfire »

anyone got tips on fuel tank cleaning..garage style? Tank looks good...still has fuel in it...does smell like an old can of paint tho...
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

here is what I have done in the past....
1. remove old gas and clean with soap and water.
2. put B.B.'s in the tank (a whole carton of them) and shake for all it is worth.
----- This will get any surface rust knocked loose for removal ------
3. again, clean with soap and water and rinse very good.... extremely good.

This is all I did to mine and it worked great but if you want to go one step further, try this out...........
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RED-KOTE ... 500wt_1182

Por 15 also makes a sealer.

Good luck,
Anthony
bruceandersson

gas tank cleaning

Post by bruceandersson »

I personally think the complete reline kits are a waste of money. The cleaner they provide just does not cut it. I used a quart of Muriactic acid diluted into a whole tank of water. The key here is to add the water first since water on acid spells WOA (like to a horse), this is a warning to not do this recalled from 7th grade science. I let it sit over night and the inside of my tank was like new. After rinsing, I used a sealer to protect it going forward. Muricatic acid can be obtained from most real hardware stores and is powerfull stuff. Do not breath the vapors and use rubber gloves. Rinse down any spill immediately and dilute the solution as you our it out. If you pour it onto a limestone driveway (as I did) it will neutralize itself since the limestone is a base. Just a little bubbling and foam. I also used this method to de-rust a complete short side bed panel as an experiment. It worked there as well.
SteveCanup
United States of America

Re: tank cleaning

Post by SteveCanup »

I had much success cleaning a rusty crusty tank by pouring in 5 bottles of rubbing Alcohol with about 3 to 4 feet of "swing set" chain. Shake shake shake....then shake some more. Shake till your arms hurt. Pour out the alcohol and remove the chain (please don't leave the chain in). The alcohol will evaporate pretty quickly....which is better than using soap and water. I then used POR-15 gas tank sealer. FOLLOW the instructions on the can and do not get it on your skin...you will never get it off....it is permanent. It sealed the surface inside of the gas tank and I drove the vehicle for another 5 years without any problem.
1964 F-100