Stripped shafts/handle fix for windows and door latches

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

willy3486

Stripped shafts/handle fix for windows and door latches

Post by willy3486 »

Sometimes the handles will strip off and the groves are gone. To remedy this I marked on the shaft that came out where the screw in the door or window handle would go into the shaft. I then drilled a hole there a little bigger than the screw on the shaft . Then go to a hardware store for a screw thats slightly longer and correct threads for the handles. Then when you put them back on the new screws will go into the shaft and no more opening the door and off goes the handles.  
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Unless you have thick door panels, The proper way for installation of handles is to be 100% sure that your handle goes all the way in past the splines so when the set screw goes down in that ridge when tightening it can not come past the splines, With both of our work trucks nevr had a handle come off yet , Of course I could go out there & shut the door & fall off but as many times as Big Slick been bounce across these roads has not happened yet, Maybe another solution is get a longer set screw & put a rounded point at the end like the original Ford handles were originally since there is so many aftermarket ones they are not created equally.. Home of the Real Ford Parts
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo