Buzzing / Static in your factory radio? Quick fix!

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

andgott

Buzzing / Static in your factory radio? Quick fix!

Post by andgott »

So you've got an original factory radio in your truck. Looks great- But doesn't SOUND great. Probably a lot of static and buzzing- More than you should experience from your old AM radio. There are a lot of potential sources- Especially when the engine is running- But, a lot of the problem can be remedied with a simple fix- Replacing the old, dried out capacitors with fresh new ones.

Your radio uses several electrolytic capacitors in it. Without going in to a lot of detail, an electrolytic capacitor relies on a fluid electrolyte to operate properly, and over time they can dry out. Your radio is more than 40 years old- and the odds are the capacitors are not operating like they once were. So- It's time to replace them.

There are a number of capacitors on the inside of your radio, but there are only TWO that we are really worried about-

One is a 50µF, the other is a larger 500µF. Both are indicated in the photo above. These are the only two electrolytic caps on the board. The other capacitors we won't have to worry about :)

Now, the values on the two capacitors in the radio are 50µF and 500µF (µF is MICRO FARAD, a unit of capacitance, if you're wondering). You probably won't be able to find them- But you can get close. Find a 47µF and a 470µF radial (you COULD use an axial, but the radial ones will be easier to install!) capacitor- rated at 35 volts, and you're good to go. It's close enough for our application. You can get them at Radio Shack for about $1.50 each-

Or, you can get them (and all the other parts you'll need) from this place- http://www.allelectronics.com/index.php . They are actually a lot cheaper from them, other than having to pay shipping. These capacitors will be a LOT smaller than the ones that you are replacing- But don't worry- That's just progress. Think of how many other things have shrunk in size since the '60s!

All you have to do is remove the old capacitors, and solder in the new ones. It's a bit tight inside the case, and the wires are not long enough to allow removal of the circuit board, so to make life easier, here are the locations of the caps on the back side of the board, where you'll be working-

Desolder the old, and replace with the new. One IMPORTANT thing to remember- Capacitors are polarized, meaning that there is a negative and a positive side to them. They will be labeled, and usually the post on the negative side will be shorter as well. Just make sure that they are installed properly- The photo shows the correct way. With both of them, the NEGATIVE was up.

Once you've installed the new capacitors, power up the radio, and (hopefully) enjoy the new, Clear sound... Or, at least clearER sound. It is an AM radio, After all... Part of the charm is the terrible reception!

-Andrew
Last edited by andgott on January 7, 2017, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Re: Buzzing / Static in your factory radio? Quick fix!

Post by bobenhotep »

also remember that the springs inside the wheel bearing caps are to help with radio static by acting as a conductor for the wheels.
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

totten
United States of America

Post by totten »

Nice writeup,thanks tony
1966 f-100 ranger,red and white,240,cruiseomatic,3.00 gear,a/c.
therealjoeshmoe

Post by therealjoeshmoe »

DUDE IF I TRIED TO SOLDER THEM THINGS IN IT WOULD NEVER WORK AGAIN!
Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!

Image Image Image Image
lastwagen 66
Germany

Post by lastwagen 66 »

Andrew, Thanks! That did the trick for me on my radio. Carl
“What we’ve got here is … failure to communicate.” The Captain, in Cool Hand Luke

‘66 F100 CC Styleside LWB 352, auto "Phoebe" SOLD 2011 - Gone but not Forgotten!

‘01 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 7.3L , 2WD, SB "Crusher II" is my DD....330K and counting.... 9/08/17
andgott

Post by andgott »

I'm glad it helped, Carl!
deflaytedwayz

Post by deflaytedwayz »

Bookmarked! I need to get mine working first. When I bought the truck, it worked. I went from the house I bought it from, to dinner and it worked. When I hopped back in the truck, nothing.
simonscr
United States of America

Post by simonscr »

On my to do list...
Simon

65 f 100

56 willys m38a1 SOLD ( Have had since high school )