61-64 rear sway bars

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Uncle Skip
United States of America

61-64 rear sway bars

Post by Uncle Skip »

FYI
A newer member asked me about rear sway bars for the straight axle trucks, and my answer was that late model sway bars won't clear the shocks. You have to find one that looks like the bar on the bottom. I "think" it came off of a 64 F-250 camper special.
The one at the top is for the twin axle trucks. Same issue: shock clearance.

If you'll look in the next picture, you'll see the issue on the shocks.

Good luck guys. Those bars are still out there.
Find 'em. :cheers:
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Re: 61-64 rear sway bars

Post by Hunter's 64 »

I used a Addco #340 from summit for a 65-72 ford , it's 1" solid steel wraps around the shocks , This is just a mock up on u-bolt mounts , I have a Addco #113 for the front , will have Pictures when mounted, used Fanatic's pattern for the end link mounts mock up looked sharp!!

Driver side end link mount

Passanger side end link mounts

Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Nice job and great workmanship. I just never considered the bar arms in the rear position.
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Thanks for the compliment, Not sure what you were saying about arms in rear position? arms do point towards the front of the truck.I think the bar I am useing is wider than the old stock ones, It runs parallel with the frame rails.I think what you are seeing is the wider flange on bottom frame rail.But notice links mount by shock top mounts.

Danny
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

I actually used an 80s or 90s bar 1 1/8" dia (flea market find) for the rear. I am under the belief that the end links should mount on the axle--the wider the spread the better-- Made some simple brackets and waalah!
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Mounted mine as show in instructions shrug.gif I can see it working either way though.

Danny
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Hunter's 64 wrote:

Hunter, I like your fuel filter setup. Are you running EFI? Did the NAPA setup come with the mounting bracket?

Sorry for the O/T question.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
Hunter's 64
United States of America

Post by Hunter's 64 »

Motor is carbed, Fuel filter set up came from some Hot Rod shop, I can't remember where, I've been buying parts for two years and have a room full of stuff, I'll see if I can find where.It tells you what filter to buy , it works as a water seperator also.

Danny
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

If you want an inexpensive rear setup, albeit not very large diameter, find one off a late 90's-up Ranger. It mounts well,with slight trimming of the axle brackets, and the end links can be readily replaced with Heim joints if you want to play with varied pre-loading, or just like the look
Paul.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
GearheadGraphics
United States of America

Post by GearheadGraphics »

Do you notice any benefit from running that sway bar? my CV front 61 unibody handles like a dream without. Would it be worth the effort?
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Truck hasn't moved from the shop in some time. After a close look at Foodstick's setup, and having a neighbor who rebuilds CV's, my plan now is to obtain a late model low mileage CV PI and utilize the entire chassis and running gear as some others are doing.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul