Disc brakes for Twin-I-Beam trucks

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Disc brakes for Twin-I-Beam trucks

Post by DV65CustomCab »

My F100 pages have been moved, including the disc brake swap page. All can now be found here:
http://mongrelmotorsports.purpleflyingmonkey.com/index.html
:dancing:
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Jerry D
United States of America

Re: Disc brakes for Twin-I-Beam trucks

Post by Jerry D »

Thank you. Just got underway with my conversion, and panicked when I saw you were looking to take the post down. Appreciate your work.

Jerry D
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

This should be a sticky!!!!
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
chuckbrandt

Post by chuckbrandt »

Hi Folks,
I'm considering an upgrade to my '66 F-100, I'm looking to you guys to talk me out of it :)

We just bought a '72 F-250 2WD with power disc brakes (2 pot calipers), 16" wheels, Dana 60 (open 3.54 ratio).

I'm thinking of putting that whole setup under my '66 F-100. I think it will all fit won't it? What '66 hub caps will fit on the 16" '72 wheels?

EDIT: I checked the hubcaps on it now, they are "outies" and measure 11 3/4" on the inside. I wonder if you are going to tell me there are no earlier styled hubcaps in that size?

Thanks, Chuck Brandt
4 Baja
United States of America

Post by 4 Baja »

chuckbrandt wrote:Hi Folks,
I'm considering an upgrade to my '66 F-100, I'm looking to you guys to talk me out of it :)

We just bought a '72 F-250 2WD with power disc brakes (2 pot calipers), 16" wheels, Dana 60 (open 3.54 ratio).

I'm thinking of putting that whole setup under my '66 F-100. I think it will all fit won't it? What '66 hub caps will fit on the 16" '72 wheels?

EDIT: I checked the hubcaps on it now, they are "outies" and measure 11 3/4" on the inside. I wonder if you are going to tell me there are no earlier styled hubcaps in that size?

Thanks, Chuck Brandt

OK, don't do it!
For one, you will be adding a lot of unnecessary unsprung weight to a thinner gauge frame reducing performance and ride quality.
Find a half ton donor and follow the steps in the link above. Keep it simple.
J-Val65

Post by J-Val65 »

hi everyone I am new. I have a 65 f 250 with a 352 I would like to swap the front brakes to 5 bolt with disc. I don't know really anything about these front suspensions and don't know if I need new spindles or if I can bolt on a disc brake kit on my factory spindle. thank you appreciate the info
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

The first link on DV65CustomCab's page is no longer good. I found these two:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/pow ... 2wd-65-72/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/fro ... rd-trucks/

I'm getting ready to do some work on my 66KIXX. A previous owner already converted it to power steering. It needs some tie rod work right now and I don't want to buy parts I can't use with the disc brake conversion later. MACs shows four cross links for 65-71, 71-72, 73-79 and 75-79. I get the impression that the stud length is different on the different years.

I've also noticed different king pin sets. 65 only, 66-74 and 75-79. I have a front end I found on the ground at a yard so I don't know the year exactly. Does anybody have experience with the differences in king pins?

Tracy
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure
orangeRcode
United States of America

Post by orangeRcode »

Great writeup DV! Alot of the information affirmed what I had already learned. However, there was alot of good info too. I've pulled the assemblies less a m/c and proportioning valve (it was missing from the donor vehicle). I've broken down everything to assess what needed to be replaced. I've sandblasted a good portion of everything and is almost ready for paint. I'm waiting on a shipment of parts from rockauto.
didgeytrucker

Post by didgeytrucker »

I finally rolled 66KIXX into the work area. I've decided to part out my 78 F-150 that I've put nearly 300,000 miles on. First order of business was removing the tie-rod assembly because 66KIXX needs some front end work right now before I do the disc brake swap. As it turns out I needed both twin I-beam pivot bushings. One had NO rubber. That was fun. The original 66 right tie rod end was worn at the pitman arm end so I thought I would just swap in the 78 assembly I had already removed. EVERYTHING is different. The only thing the same is size of the castle nuts. The length of the right tie rod end is longer on the 78. I would have to turn the steering wheel about 1/3 turn to the right and replace the wheel on the shaft to straighten the wheel. This also means the steering box is no longer "on center" and I would have fewer turns to the right than I do to the left. The box is designed to run "on center" as there is differing amounts of play - more to the limits and none on center. I do not want to use the longer, and therefore incorrect. 73-79 tie rod assembly. I went ahead and bought a new 66 right tie rod end and when I do the disc brake swap I'll modify the spindles so the bigger 66 tie rod end stud will fit the the 78 spindles.
1956 F-100 Panel w/429 (3.50 9")
1966 F-100 SWB w/351C (3.25 9" - 3.70 posi for Saturday nights)
Music City F-100's,
1965 GT-350 S/C (2.78 1st & 3.70 TracLok 9")
Music City Mustang Club
1969 Schwinn StingRay
Don't focus on the destination....make the JOURNEY the adventure
Toyz
United States of America

Post by Toyz »

Quick update: One of our members had been searching to locate the disc brake booster bracket like those found on the '78/79's. They are proving hard to find these days!In his searching he has found that piratejacks.net sell a similar articulated bracket as well as the complete mastercylinder/booster/ mounting kits.
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul