Intake manifold oil leak in a 64 with a 351 In it, Help!

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

abrasilian

Intake manifold oil leak in a 64 with a 351 In it, Help!

Post by abrasilian »

So at first I thought it was leaking out of the distributor o ring, replaced that with the help of a friend, bc I don't like messing with timing. That wasn't the problem, though the oring was brittle. So now I'm thinking its the intake manifold, it's slowly building a puddle of oil around the distributor and water pump. I'm good with my hands, but not that advanced on engines. Lol so I def need some help, how hard is this to fix, could it be my head gaskets? Should I just replace the gasket, or since I'll have it out, should I go ahead and get a new/better manifold? What should I get? Anyways I could use any 2 cents on this subject. I sold my car, so the truck is my daily driver now, and this is bothering me. Thanks
Toyz
United States of America

Re: Intake manifold oil leak in a 64 with a 351 In it, Help!

Post by Toyz »

More than likely the front manifold rubber-type gasket directly behind the distributor from your description. An intake gasket set will contain what you need; and it's a relatively simple repair, especially when compared with the same job on a 352.
As to replacing the manifold; it all depends on what you currently have and your expectations. It is not apt to be worn out; but there are some improvements in performance to be had IMO.
Paul
The Ford Orphanage
Life's too short for boring vehicles!
My quest to develop a universal solvent is held up by the lack of a storage container.
Paul
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Intake manifold oil leak in a 64 with a 351 In it, Help!

Post by jamesdfo »

You don't mention if its a 351W, or a 351C or 351M

Changing the intake gaskets isn't that difficult, I would use the gasket(s) that come in the intake gasket set for between the heads & intake, but for the two end gaskets that go to the top surface of the block, I always leave them out & use a bead of silicone, as even when I have attached the end gaskets to the block and allowed to cure, followed by a thin coating of silicone on the top before placing the intake, I have had them "push out" later. This has never happened using the bead of silicone in place of the end. gaskets.
And it goes without saying that all surfaces maust be clean of old gasket material, sealants, glycol, etc.
And I guess it bears mentioning that on the Windsors,before removing the intake, you need to drain a bunch of coolant (to get coolant level below the heads) , as the manifold is "wet", IIRC on the C & M, not necessary (I have a 351C, but it has been all together for far too long:).
And because of the likely contamination of the oil with glycol on the Windsors, I personally would do an oil/filter change after buttoning up the intake.

As far as changing intakes?, one would need more info on you current combo (engine type, intake, carb, cam, exhaust, trans type(and converter if an auto), axle ratio, etc

James