Clunk Behind the Seat

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

RonMele

Clunk Behind the Seat

Post by RonMele »

Hello Guys and Gals. Beautiful weather in Wisconsin and my truck arrived from Connecticut in fine shape. This is the project that I restored over there (childhood home) wiht my brother; decided I had enough fun driving it where I grew up and shipped it to where I live. This is the one that USED to have the fuel odor in the cab...posted here..turns out the fuel was seeping from some pinholes in the bottom of the tank directly above the cab mount. Anyway, a fresh new tank (with matching paint job!) and no more fuel odor.

I am, however, getting an annoying "clunk" from somewhere directly behind me. I used to keep the long jack handle behind the seat; took that out but the clunk continued. Tank is secured solid. I replaced the fuel sending unit when replacing the tank...wonder if it could be that? Only occurs when accelerating or deccelarating. (Could the float be swinging back and forth?)

Having a blast driving this truck...
skidoorulz
United States of America

Re: Clunk Behind the Seat

Post by skidoorulz »

YEP!!!!! I put in an after market sender in mine and had the same sound. Cleaned up the original and put it back in and thumping is gone.
FORDification
United States of America

Re: Clunk Behind the Seat

Post by FORDification »

Ford put out a technical service bulletin article in 1967 which deals with this:

Article 1161 - Fuel Sender Float Rattle
TSB #76 - September 29, 1967
(All 1965 to 1968 F Series with In Cab Fuel Tanks)

The fuel sender float can strike the upper edge of the fuel tank under conditions of 3/4 full or more and certain road conditions.

This condition exists due to the required length of the float arm because of the tank shape. It does not create any problems but does cause an annoying rattle.

On a customer complaint basis, a rubber boot (Part No. C7TZ-9A175-A, Class AG) can be installed in the following manner:

1. Disconnect the fuel sender wires at the tank.
2. Remove the sender unit carefully.
3. Place the rubber boot on the float assembly (Fig. 2).
4. Reinstall the sender with a new gasket.

The standard operation and time schedule applies to this correction.

Keith
FORDification.info | FORDification.com | FORDification.net
Also own: '67 F100 2WD SWB - '68 F100 SWB 4WD choptop - '75 F250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special