White vinegar - miracle worker

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

orangeRcode
United States of America

White vinegar - miracle worker

Post by orangeRcode »

I'm sure many of you sage, old Slicksters know all about the light cleaning properties of white vinegar. I had heard about folks using it here and there but never put much thought into it. I recently got some brackets and bolts from Pat when we were up pulling the cab for Gary's project. The brackets had some rust which I mostly knocked off with a wire brush and shot some black paint on. The bolts were very rusty and I was just going to buy some new bolts. However, I had recently seen somebody using white vinegar to clean parts and hardware so I thought I would give it a try.

I should have gotten some pics of the before to show the dramatic changes, however I didn't think about it. I placed the bolts in a sour cream container I was about to throw away. I covered them with the vinegar and put on counter and let it sit for a couple of days. I opened it up and was amazed to see how much of the rust had been removed. I used a wire brush, rinsed with water and put back in a clean vinegar bath to soak for another couple of days.
I took them out last night after soaking for about 5 days. Hit them with the wire brush a final time and rinsed in a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the vinegar. I'm extremely happy with how they came out. Most all of the rust was removed without losing much material. In the past to clean up bolts I've thrown them into a parts washer and then hit the heads with a bead blaster. I don't have access to this equipment so I was happy to find another effective method. It takes longer but appears to do a great job. Your results may vary.
Michelle
United States of America

Re: White vinegar - miracle worker

Post by Michelle »

That's good to know. I have a rusty pipe wrench that I found the other day that looked like it had been exposed to the elements for some time. I will try the white vinegar on it, I will take before and after pictures for you.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
bobenhotep
United States of America

Post by bobenhotep »

I have used phosphoric acid for this as well. Just don't use muratic acid. It embeds chlorine atoms in the metal and causes rust later on.

Dan
For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble

My '63 short wrongbed

"The Iron Rhino"
300 I6, 3 spd manual, DS II/ HEI ignition.

Stuff I added to Hints and tricks

-300-6 choke tube repair
-duraspark II/ HEI
-Horn ring contact tube repair
-turn signal indicator fix

Mikhail Kalashnikov and Nikola Tesla are the guys i think of when i build things.

jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Another method of de-rusting uses mollasses (cheap @ feed stores), the process uses chelation, but it is not an overnight deal, large items fenders, etc can take a month, AND it can be a bit stinky, so best for rural folks:)

google it!! I know a number of people who have tried it, and it works!!

James
Jerry D
United States of America

Post by Jerry D »

Though I've never tried it, I've seen beet juice sold for rust removal use. Would like to hear from someone how that works too.
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I have used electrolysis on a lot of my parts. Converts all the rust without losing any more metal, rust just brushes off with nylon brush.
Lots of ventilation and no stainless,but you are going to love it, I have done everything from nuts and bolts to bell housings in less than two days pour the soapy solution out.
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!