2100 carb issue

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

agjames96
United States of America

2100 carb issue

Post by agjames96 »

I had only rebuilt single bore carbs for jeeps, so I elected to pay someone to rebuild my 2100 for my 292 y block. I have just now been able to get the truck on the road since buying it and noticed that there is no power. I can barely go uphill in first gear and once moving, I can maybe get to 35 mph in third gear.

The butterflies in the carb, barely open (maybe 1/3 of the way open) when everything stops moving. Does that sound right? It seems like I am topping out at maybe 3k rpm.

I took the top of the carb and found that the float was not set correctly, which was causing a stumbling issue I had. Something has to be wrong.

Please help. Just got her roadworthy, titled and registered and can't even take her for a fun spin.
1964 F100 Flareside, all original w/ Y Block 292
bruceandersson

Re: 2100 carb issue

Post by bruceandersson »

Your butterflies should completely open. I suspect the linkage to the choke was not installed correctly. Here's a page with some diagrams that might be of help: http://www.carburetion.com/diags/2150diagpage.asp
agjames96
United States of America

Post by agjames96 »

Carb spacer and gaskets on upside down. Everything was offset about half an inch and butterflies were hanging up on the gasket.

Pay a shop $90 per hour and you should get competent mechanics. :cussing:
1964 F100 Flareside, all original w/ Y Block 292
FarmMotorSports
United States of America

Post by FarmMotorSports »

In their defense , if it doesn't have a diagnostics port, and it is more than a simple parts R&R they probably didn't learn about it in trade school.

80 percent of auto repair now days is simple parts R&R, of planed failures diagnosed by on board diagnostics.
It's sad they are not better edcuated, and even worse that the auto industry has resorted to scheduled failures and highly engineered obsolescence.
61 F250 Unibody
5.9 Ford Diesel / Allison
Disk brake straight axle
bruceandersson

Post by bruceandersson »

X2 on mechanics these days. Glad you have it sorted.