Intermittent wipers

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Intermittent wipers

Post by My wife's nightmare »

This probably is old news to most everyone but wanted to post it just in case somebody is looking for something to update the ol' Slick. Got this from a 1988 F-150 a few weeks ago. The "black box" can be a pain to get to on these series trucks but sometimes I enjoy a challenge. Unfortunately this truck was hit too hard to let me get the wiper motor but that gives me a reason to go "shopping" again. (Might be a good reason to go see Tom and Kathy!!) The wiper switch works pretty good in 61-66 dashes and it also has the washer switch built in. just try to get as much of the harness as you can. These controls and switches are on 73-90 trucks and vans (I believe 90 is the last year but please correct me if so)
jamesdfo
Canada

Re: Intermittent wipers

Post by jamesdfo »

I got my bits out of an '89 F150, best $7.00 purchase ever:)

IIRC, if your slick came with the 2 speed wipers, you can use the existing motor.

**Be careful hunting E-series Van as donor, as I believe they switched to the wiper controls being in the turn signal stalk much earlier than the F series did. (but it will be very obvious, just look for one with w/s wiper/washer switch in dash)

Here is a pretty good write up off of Fordification.........

http://www.fordification.com/tech/wiperdelay.htm
SteveCanup
United States of America

Post by SteveCanup »

Thanks for the info....that's one feature that I want to add to my slick.
1964 F-100
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Good point about the later vans having column mounted switches and thank you for the link, very good write-up. I forgot to add in the first post that the wiper motor I used was from a 73-79 and I swapped the motor arm from my 63 motor and mounted the new motor to my 63 under-dash bracket. I don't recall having to drill any new holes but I should pull it back out and verify.
Steve, the yard I went to is about an hour south of you, 21 Motors, in Hamptonville, NC. He's got a lot of Ford Trucks or you could go another hour-ish east and see Tom at Flashback"s!!
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I had to rebuild linkage and mounting bracket to get mine to work, do you have pics of wiring? I would like to put in my old two speed motor and linkage
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
My wife's nightmare
United States of America

Sorry for the delay responding to your wiring question, work seems to get in the way too often. I will do some digging and see what I have as far as wiring goes. Is there something specific you are looking for? If you collect the motor from the truck you get the governor from, it is almost easier to swap the motor onto your bracket, change the arm on the motor to the 61-66 and just bolt it all up and connect the wiring connectors. All of the parts I used were from a 73-79 truck and the only thing I had to do was drill a new hole for the ground strap and used a tubular rivet to attach the free end.
According to previous replies here, the wiring to the motor is a direct connect IF you have an original 2-speed motor. Hopefully someone will help verify that.
unibody madness
United States of America

It's been awhile since I did the swap, but the motor I bought did not just bolt up, and rigging the arm linkage was tricky as well, leaving me with sloppy wiper movement
Turk build thread at:

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

wiper motor is the same from 1967-79 trucks,, switches are different but needed is the 73-79 that was for delayed and be sure to ground the switch,, not all of the 61-64 wiper motor brackets will accept the 67/79 motor, need to used that little bracket that was attached with a 7/16 wrench of the 67/79 motor, and on the switch cut off a little on the shaft to accept the factory 61/66 knobs, one thing also is mark where your original motor parked and then be sure it parks in the same place after done so what we do is bench test it so you can see where it parks and see how it delays
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
unibody madness
United States of America

thanks Tom I did all the clocking and testing and it works great, however it is really sloppy when installed. how would you go about doing that on a 61? Is there a bolt on bracket that works with the old linkage?
Turk build thread at:

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

the bolt pattern for the cab bracket that mounts on the firewall should be the same 61-66 trucks, but the tricky part is where the motor bolts on since I ran into a difference on the bolt pattern on the motor on the earlier trucks and then installed the 65/66 bracket

NOW Remember take a marker before messing with the wiper transmission arms, WHEN taking the transmission arm they are marked # 440 and # 508 so if you take of 2 440's then your good, if both are 508's your good now pay attention if the drivers side is a 440 and pass. side is a 508 write that down on the inside of the cowl so you do not mix them and same way if the 508 is on the drivers side and 440 on the pass. side and can put them back in the same place for main reason if you mix them up, your wipers can do crazy things
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

unibody madness
United States of America

Thanks Tom Great Info.
DO you have a 65/66 bracket?
Turk build thread at:

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

I should have one already off a truck, will look in next day or so since we are moving trucks around the yard and cutting trees, trying to get some organization around here but that's :lol: :lol: joke Kathy says
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS