Installing the 3rd point of a 3 point seatbelt.

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

charliemccraney

Installing the 3rd point of a 3 point seatbelt.

Post by charliemccraney »

Due primarily to the fact that I failed to take pictures during the installation of the lower points, this will focus on the slightly more tricky 3rd point installation.

The lower points are pretty straight forward. Measure, mark, measure, measure, get ready to drill, measure, drill, measure again to see if you done messed up. Depending on the seats you're using, and where you need to mount the belts, you may run into issues with cab supports, and other sheet metal that may get in the way. Fortunately, I did not run into any of that during my install.

The only place available to install the third point is in each of the 2 rear corners of the cab:

Image Image

I found these little reinforcement plates online. They're 1/8" thick, 1.5" x 3" and come with a 7/16-20 thread. They can be riveted in place so that any future removal, replacement, or repair of the seatbelts is a one man job. The rivet holes were a hair too small for my 5/32, zinc plated steel rivets. So I opened them up to the proper size with a #20 drill bit. I used this size drill bit for all of the rivet holes. The label on my box of rivets says the hole needs to be .161 to .164 for proper fit. A #20 drill bit is .161. Follow the rivet manufacturers recommendations.

The instructions say to drill a big ole 1 3/4" hole so that the plate can be slid up into place and riveted. I don't know about you, but that was not very appealing to me. Fortunately, we can gain access to the back of the corners by removing the rear portion of the headliner. Here, once again, I forgot to take pictures. I will if anyone needs it but I prefer not to remove that thing again. It pretty much goes like this. Unscrew the 2 screws at each corner, unscrew the dome light lens, unscrew the bulb holder and ground wire and push them behind. The top of the back portion is retained by two tangs. Gently push up on the top part of the headliner while gently pulling forward on the back portion and it will come out. Next, lift it out of the window rubber and it's out. Get a friend to help if you can. It's a bit of a pita to do it alone.

Now, sit in your seat and have a friend hold the shoulder restraint in a position that feels comfortable. It needs to be positioned above your shoulders to avoid compressing your spine should you have an accident. Have him hold the mounting plate as well to be sure that you clear the beads which are rolled into the corners for riveting. For the passenger side, you may want to make it more of a "universal" fit. I had a hard time with that because I like symmetry. Making the passenger side more "universal" isn't going to make my truck faster or make me more comfortable. So, Hopefully my passengers aren't much taller than me.

Now mark the location with a marker. I forgot to take a picture with the marker but here's the dot. Kinda. The flash really ruined this picture.

Now you know approximately where the center should be and you don't have to fight with the seat belt while trying to center punch. Use a transfer punch to mark the location. Follow that up with a center punch to get it ready for drilling. Drill the hole. The bolt is 7/16. I usually make my bolt holes 1/64" larger for good clearance. So I used a 29/64" bit. Do your best to debur the back side of the hole. I found a dremel with a small cylindrical grinding stone did a fine job.

Image Image

I used a set screw to help locate the plate while drilling the holes for the rivets. If you jiggle the plate around a little, you will find a place where it is happy and stable. I don't know if this will help for the actual function of the seat belts but it sure made it easier to drill the holes or the rivets. Have a friend hold the plate while you drill - or, if you're brave, do it the other way around. Take this opportunity to be a good friend and try to scare them a little. Drill the first hole and don't let the drill go all the way through and make a dimple on the outside body work like I did and damage the dull paint job.

To keep the plate located properly, slide a rivet into the hole. Don't get ahead of yourself and pop that thing in!. Drill the second rivet hole and make sure both rivets will slide in easily.

Image Image

Now the tricky part. How do we get that plate behind there and into position? My solution:

I drilled a hole through my set screw and threaded it into the plate. The screw is 1" long with an allen hex on one end. I threaded the set screw into the plate so that the allen hex will be easy to access once the plate is installed.

Image Image

I then fitted my custom bent, super ultra high tech, specialty coat hanger tool through the hole and lowered the plate into position. The set screw also doubled as a pilot for the plate so that it will be easier to retrieve and hold onto.

Image Image

I threaded a nut onto the set screw to hold everything in place. You don't want the nut too tight. Do not disengage the custom bent, super ultra high tech, specialty coat hanger tool until the plate is secured in place! Also don't do what I did and try to unscrew the set screw before disengaging the tool. You're in for a real treat when you wind that thing around most of a turn.
The plate will probably have rotated to the position of least possible benefit while getting it behind there. Get the holes lined up with a pic. Make sure the rivets still fit.

Image Image

Now pop them rivets in there. I used a rivet tool with a rotating head. It allows for a much more convenient position. And voila! One anchor installed for the 3rd point.

Image Image
Last edited by charliemccraney on May 13, 2009, 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Thanks Charlie. Looks like a nice job.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I have spent alot of time trying to out a solution to this one. None of mine were this simple - outstanding!
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Good work Charlie!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
PFM-64f100

Post by PFM-64f100 »

I might of missed it but can you share where you bought these plates at? I will need to get 4 of them for the crew cab. Thanks.
64 F100 short bed-style side-460-c6-with side toolbox and Dakota Front Suspension
And a 65 CrewCab

Chris W.

The pickups
65 Crew Cab
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/CrewCab/index.html
64 F100
http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1964- ... index.html
The Torino project http://www.purpleflyingmonkey.com/1971- ... eFile.html
charliemccraney

I go the plates from http://www.seatbeltpros.com/
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
dav

Post by dav »

beautifull thanks for the info been trying to figure out how to do that bout a while now
God rules ,slicks rock & Mopar motors don't fit well (yet)
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Thanks for the great ideas & advice! This is one of the many things I've been tryign to sort out in my twisted little head....
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Pulled a set from a c&%#$ cab now I know where to find mounting hardware.

Thank you charliemccraney now I can add a little more safety to the old 62
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Awesome writeup.

As soon as I get the swatches in the mail, I'm going to order 3 pt seat belts.

Now Charlie, just let me know when you're available to come by Roswell and hold a beer or two. :lol:
1965 F250 352 4spd/Dana 4.10 (sold)
1991 Porsche 964 Cabriolet
2006 Cheby Silverado
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - yeah, it's a HEMI
charliemccraney

BigMike wrote:Now Charlie, just let me know when you're available to come by Roswell and hold a beer or two. :lol:

I'm glad to help but I probably will not be available for the next month or two. I'm house hunting and I'm dedicating all of my spare time to that goal. I want to get it done asap but I'm going to let it take a much time as necessary.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
BigMike
United States of America

Post by BigMike »

Got mine put in today. This tip came in very handy. I was able to reach my hand behind there and hold the plate - then I screwed the bolt in to hold it in place.

Drill the first hole and don't let the drill go all the way through and make a dimple on the outside body work like I did and damage the dull paint job.

I was being so careful and the driver's side was perfect. The passenger side I drilled a 1/4" pilot. Then when I drilled the half inch hole, the drill bit caught as it was going through the final bit of metal and screw itself in and dinged the cab. I'm pretty pissed. The thing is, I knew better. I should have wrapped a ton of tape around the drill bit so it couldn't go in too far.
2006 Cheby Silverado
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

BigMike wrote:
Drill the first hole and don't let the drill go all the way through and make a dimple on the outside body work like I did and damage the dull paint job.

I was being so careful and the driver's side was perfect. The passenger side I drilled a 1/4" pilot. Then when I drilled the half inch hole, the drill bit caught as it was going through the final bit of metal and screw itself in and dinged the cab. I'm pretty pissed. The thing is, I knew better. I should have wrapped a ton of tape around the drill bit so it couldn't go in too far.

Wish I had seen this thread earlier.

To prevent dinging the cab, get yourself some thin rubber hose, like fuel line, washer fluid line, or something else small but with some "give" to it. Cut a small length of the rubber line so you can slide it over the drill bit and expose enough drill bit to cut through the first layer of metal, but not enough to contact the second layer of metal. If the rubber line is an appropriate length, it will stop you from punching through the first layer and dimpling or cutting the layer behind it.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
paintballtruck

Post by paintballtruck »

i have allways used a wooden block cut to length so it can not go to deep helps to put some tape around the hole to be drilled though so it doesnt scuff the paint
66 f350 dually hydraulic dump flatbed
79 jeep j10 pickup
95 jeep grand cherokee
05 chevy Z71
f100matt

Post by f100matt »

BigMike wrote:I was being so careful and the driver's side was perfect. The passenger side I drilled a 1/4" pilot. Then when I drilled the half inch hole, the drill bit caught as it was going through the final bit of metal and screw itself in and dinged the cab. I'm pretty pissed. The thing is, I knew better. I should have wrapped a ton of tape around the drill bit so it couldn't go in too far.

I did that! Think I died a little inside.... :?
-1966 Ford F100, 352, 4 speed, smoke grey, mustang buckets
-2003 Ford Ranger XL, 3.0, 5 speed
-1989 Ford F250, 460, highboy, 4x4
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I bought a drill bit stopper kit from Harbor Freight a few years ago for this purpose. Small, aluminum bushings with a set screw in different sizes. I used them on my 3-point spot inside the cab and worked great.

Looks similar to this but came in a 6-piece kit:

"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
jamesdfo
Canada

Post by jamesdfo »

Yup, the stops will prevent this type of tragedy:)

I prefer the split style to the ones with a setscrew....

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 2311,42335

James
slickmainer
United States of America

Re: Installing the 3rd point of a 3 point seatbelt.

Post by slickmainer »

is that sail panel strong enough to hold if an accident? seems like it would rip out. Could one fit a square piece of tubing in the upper roof area and weld it to the void area between the roof and door frame (weld without distorting the roof) then attach the mounting point to that square tube and have a little more strength? dont know just tossing out a thought.
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
BigMike
United States of America

Re: Installing the 3rd point of a 3 point seatbelt.

Post by BigMike »

slickmainer wrote:is that sail panel strong enough to hold if an accident? seems like it would rip out. Could one fit a square piece of tubing in the upper roof area and weld it to the void area between the roof and door frame (weld without distorting the roof) then attach the mounting point to that square tube and have a little more strength? dont know just tossing out a thought.

I think it is strong enough. But, even if it isn't, you're better off with the 3rd point the way it is than without it. I didn't want to install one because it isn't period correct, but that damn steering wheel is so close to the driver.
2006 Cheby Silverado