New SS tradition

The next great event

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Kid
United States of America

New SS tradition

Post by Kid »

Vinney sent me his valve cover racer ( Stella ) he used at the first SS so we could have someone race it for him, We let Aaron ( Joels Son ) race it this year and he had a blast to be included. Vinney and I talked and we decided if it is ok with everyone else that I will keep his racer and every year if there is a new youngster in attendance they will race the racer for Vinney and if there is more than 1 they will race it as a team. If there isnt a new youngster we will find someone else to race it
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
foodstick

Re: New SS tradition

Post by foodstick »

I keep telling kid there should be a couple new classes for the valve cover track.. if we found some orange hot wheel straights we could race those small matchbox slicks.. those would prolly be a riot screaming down that long hill. they would be easier to get and haul than a custom valve cover...I had also thought of making a class of vehicle that was built using a ash tray from a slick.. those are pretty easy to come by. and a guy could mount it to a board or weld up a cool rail dragster from to one...

It seems a shame to have that big track and haul it around for just 20 minutes use...
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

yes we need to come up with more uses for the valve cover track, I agree it seems like a waste to use it for the short time we do. I will look for some hot wheels track sections and I like the ash tray idea and maybe we could race air cleaners. I agree with what we talked about yesterday about no one wanting to race the sun star trucks or the smaller wix trucks but we can leave that up to others, if anyone wants to do the bigger ones just let us know and we can start making up some plans
There are some Days I should not be let to go into the public without adult supervision
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

We have like 8 miles of the hot wheels track I could bring.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

How about a pine wood derby 'class' - or something similar?? Just a thought.....
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

A pine wood derby thing wood also work, though there might be more wall bashing and wild crashes than anything else ! hahahah
slixtyfive
United States of America

Post by slixtyfive »

Yeah i was thinking that too. But that is one aspect that makes it interesting....ahem, i mean different! :lol:
"It's better to be gone but not forgotten, than to be forgotten but not gone." Gary Allan
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

I'm not agin a little carnage ;)
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

I`m for the hot wheels racing, would be easy to bring a few of those, how about putting the slot car track on the valve cover track and have a hill climb/ down hill race !... :twisted:
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Hotwheels for sure.

Pinewood derby would be cool. easy to add to the track too.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

I like the Hot Wheels and Pinewood Derby ideas to use the V/C track for more racing.
Whatever we can do to use it more during SS week will get my vote. This whole thing just
keeps getting better and better. Anyone ever think about Awards for the Top Winners in
the V/C races? Nothing fancy, just something to give them who win their divisions.
I have some ideas on that and who knows what may show up in Salina.
Could also be done for Hot Wheels and Pinewood Derby Races. Whaddaya think? TR
jimwarneke
United States of America

Post by jimwarneke »

Looking for something thrilling and a little bit more portable?

The Cub Scouts always have had the Pinewood Derby, I've been running the District Derby in our area for over 10 years now and it takes a lot to setup. Tracks, timers, etc.

I'd suggest you look into the Boy Scouts version - the BlastCar. Google it, but basically everyone buys the same kit, customizes their version, and they run in a parking lot powered by a CO2 cartridge. The 'track' is two wires stretched across the pavement.

See http://youtu.be/svz0NBhku40 for a demo

Jim
'65 F100 Longbed Styleside
'66 Galaxie XL 500 Custom build
'67 Ranchero
'94 Mustang GT Coupe
'98 Mustang GT Vert
'04 Mustang GT Vert
'04 F150

and the wife's ...
'11 Dodge Durango
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Personally i would like to see more people build Valve cover racers. Out of all the ones
who come to SS only a few bring them which makes the races too short. I am thinking it
would be cool if everyone built one or two and we could have more participation in it.
As talented as you folks are building trucks, a VC racer would be simple for all of you.
And, we could race more than one day. There are many opportunities during SS to race
them, not just once. TR
Qcowboy

Post by Qcowboy »

I suspect I'll manage to show up in Salina, since it's a short drive from Denver. If I do, I'll bring my valve cover racers along. I used to belong to a club that encouraged more participation in the valve cover racing by holding a "concourse" class as well as speed classes, since some people are more interested in making things look cool. We got some great entries in concourse, including this one that my buddy built. I suspect the gang at SlickStock might enjoy creating variations of valve cover pickups like this! If I recall correctly, he used two v-8 valve covers, and simply cut one in half to make the front of the cab, while the second one remained full-length, and formed the bed and lower cab. The wheels are mounted on skateboard trucks. It didn't go very straight or very fast, but it looks cool!

Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Here are a few pics of some entries we had in the Valve Cover races at the
last Gypsum Car Show in the fall of 2015. Paul and I along with some help from
a guy named Bruce set the track up and there were quite a few that showed up
to race. Even one from a Rolls Royce!

And a few you may have seen before....
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

there's some pretty ominous names on that Detroit cover Gazza ! :D
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif