Time to buy wheels

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Shawn F.

Time to buy wheels

Post by Shawn F. »

Well I have enough money right now to do either two things here. One is to buy a 46 Chrysler I have had my eye on for a while now or to buy new wheels for my 66 F100. I haven't made up my mind yet but either way I will be buying new wheels and tires before the summer is over with this year... I was looking at getting 15X7 inch wheels up front and 17X9.5's in the back (they dont make 9's or 8.5 in the style wheel I want. Here is a link to the back wheels that I want which are 17X9.5...
http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/productd ... sp?id=1322
What kind of backspacing will I need with this wheel, does anyone here have any idea? Also how about the front as well? I was going to run 16 inches diameter up front but someone told me that 16 inch tires are more expensive than 17's or sometimes even 18"....
Any info on this would be greatly appreciated guy's! Those wheels in that link are exactly what I want and I was going to go with the all polished Torq Thrusts but everyone else has them and those are different and will go good with the dark forest metallic green paint on my truck I think.
Thanks!
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Shawn I think a 4.5 backspacing would work right. However I would measure real well before ordering them.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Ok, I will keep that number in mind and try to measure them sometime in the next few days. How about tire size? Will a 285/60/17 fit out back? I'd like a 295 but doubt that will fit back there.
F-Zilla

Post by F-Zilla »

I think those wheels would look sharp with the dark green metalic. Back in the day I had a 72 Mach 1 that was dark green metalic and I wanted similar Americans that were out at the time, but I could not surrender the Magnum 500s.
BUY FORD, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MOTOR COMPANY!

65 F100
66 F100
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Heh Magnum 500's huh? I dont blame you. lol Another metallic green I like is a Cadillac color from 49 I guess that is a dark metallic green. I always thought that color would look awesome on an old early to mid 40's vehicle with all the chome bumpers, grill and hub caps. :D
F-Zilla

Post by F-Zilla »

I bought a 96 Mustang GT 5 spd that was Dark metalic Green. I was not really shopping for one, but I came across it brand new and it had a beige cloth interior , manual windows, no cruise or power locks, no wing, so I got it for 17K (ever seen one, pre 96 they were called GTS and rare). I later converted it to power windows, locks and cruise from junk yard parts. If I could have it, I wish I still had that car in it's manual form. Like a dummy, I sold it to put a down payement on the ex wife's BMW.
BUY FORD, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MOTOR COMPANY!

65 F100
66 F100
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

BMW over a stang? EWW that makes me sick! :p EX wife parts makes it even worse! :p
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

BMW over a stang? EWW that makes me sick! :p EX wife parts makes it even worse! :p
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

Jim
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Shawn F. wrote:Ok, I will keep that number in mind and try to measure them sometime in the next few days. How about tire size? Will a 285/60/17 fit out back? I'd like a 295 but doubt that will fit back there.

If you get the backspacing right it should work. Compared to what I am running it would be about .4 less width, 11.22 vs 11.61. The height would be greater on the 18s, 30.46 vs. my tire at 29.29.

Here is a great resource to check/compare tire sizes.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Tire size on 18's? Do you mean 17's or did you think I was getting 18s? I am going to go with 17's out back. I'd like 17 up front and 18 out back but not going to do that because I want the front lower.
Also what about changing series tires with 60's up front and 65's out back... Can you do that or no? I'd like a taller sidewall out back to give it that bigger tire look without having the width like I wish I could have.
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

The 17 and 18 have the same dimensions other than sidewall height. So the 285/60R17 should fit if you have the right backspacing, and the truck is not lowered.

Use the tire calculator on tires.com, you can do different comparisons. Here is the link.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Oh yeah I should have mentioned the lowered thing. It will be lowered 4 inches (maybe 5) out back... 15 up front with 4 inch drop.
Shawn F.

Post by Shawn F. »

Ok I just looked through that site and that will help me out some, thanks a lot! I might try out a 285/65/17 tire out back but get my backspacing correct first.
BigTim

Post by BigTim »

Shawn F. wrote:Oh yeah I should have mentioned the lowered thing. It will be lowered 4 inches (maybe 5) out back... 15 up front with 4 inch drop.

That maybe a bit tall of a tire with a 4 inch drop.