1966 4.6 w/ crown vic frontend build I'm driving BABY!!

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

sheltonsklassics

1966 4.6 w/ crown vic frontend build I'm driving BABY!!

Post by sheltonsklassics »

PLEASE CHECK MY PICS OUT IN MY ALBUM AND GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS!!
First off let me say I am new to the forum as far as membership but I have been reading posts here since august 2008 and your thoughts and ideas is what let me to build the truck you see in my album.Like I said I am new so I don't know how to posts pics in this message but I wanted to give out a big thanks and let you guys see what I have built and get your thoughts and ideas.
I have had this slick since I was 5years old and I am 31 now.My father and I pulled it from a junk yard when I was 5.At age 11 we started fixin her up and by the time I was 14 it was pretty sharp.I drove it all through high school and then 10 years ago I wanted to replace cab bushings.One thing led to another and next thing it was totally apart and stayed that way until I started back on it in august of 2008.Words can't express the love we have for old cars and the bond it has formed between us throughout my entire life.We now buy,sell,trade and build all sorts of classics in our spare time for us as well as customers.Now on with the truck..............
I bought a wrecked 2004 vic taxi cab as my donor for this vehicle.I will have to say the frontend swap is the only way to go on a slick.This build was a very tight budget for me (3kids & a wife) so everything you see done is on a poor mans pocket book.I made my own wiring harness.Not to difficult if your very knowledgable in that area which I am.I used the CV booster and master cyl and made all my own lines but did use a gm Proportion valve.I used the factory 9 inch that was under the truck but installed right wagon axles to give me the car bolt pattern.To get the stance you see I used 1976 ford truck springs and flipped the rearend.The '76 springs have the same distance on the eyes but have a different arch so it was just what I needed.
The wheels are 2005 chrome mustang bullitt wheels and I used a 1 inch spacer in the rear.Front wheels are 18x8 and rear are 18x9.
Used a universal tilt column(ididit,flaming river etc.).Installed a universal street rod a/c unit bought off ebay for $200 and it worked out great.I even removed the switches from the unit and put them in my factory dash holes where the defrost and fan was.
Dakota digital gauges were chosen b/c I wanted the check engine light and gear shift indicator.I know this cost me almost as much as the donor car but it was well worth it.
I used my factory radiator support fabricated to accept the cv radiator,trans cooler and cooling fan.I used a universal a/c condenser which got in the way of the hood latch so I had to fabricate an new hood release lever.Removed gas tank from cab and placed it behind the roll pan which is where I fill it from.I fabbed the cv fuel pump in the tank but used a gm sender.I don't know what the tank is out of.I just went to a junk yard and grabbed a few tanks until I found one that would work.The next build I will have one built to those specs b/c it worked out great.
I was alittle worried about the amount of travel on the front end b/c the cv is heavier and it seemed like there wasn't much travel but after completing everything it was fine.I have to say that the quality of the steering and ride is uncomparable.I was going back with my twin I beams and big block 428 until I came across this site.This is one truck that I have had for a very long time and it will never be sold.And I owe the newness of it to all of you.........I am definatly a slick 60's member for life and have every intention to making slick stock and other events you have.
The paint is a 1997 chrysler strawberry red metallic base clear.All body and paint was done by me and my father also.

We are looking to start building a few of these restomods either from a turn key stand point or you bring us the car or truck and we just do the conversion.
If interested contact me!!!!
Again,A big thanks is owed to all of you here at slick 60's.Hope to see you around.
NOW IF I CAN JUST COME UP WITH THE CASH FOR INTERIOR!!!!
Shelton's Classic Cars.We buy,sell & trade and also offer repair and custom services on classic,muscle and antique cars and trucks!
Email us for contact inof or questions.........sheltonsklassics@yahoo.com
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

first and fore most, wave.gif Welcome to the club from West Virginia. Glad to have you aboard. The truck looks great and the color really sets it off. Alot of us here are doing it the poor man way... shrug.gif ... seems to be the way most of us live I guess. (fat, poor, and happy :lol: ) I like the way the truck sets. Just right for the hot rod look. Again, glad to have ya' here....
Anthony
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

WOW! VERY nice job incorporating all the CV stuff into your Slick! Looks factory built!
Welcome to Slick 60s!
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
randyr

Great Truck!!

Post by randyr »

Hey Great job!!! I recently bought a 66 custom cab shortbed which is mostly stock with 352, cruise-o-matic, dana 44 rear end. I've done a lot of research about the CV suspension swap and that is part of my long range plans for the truck. For now, I'm converting to power steering and discs from a 70's donor truck just so it can be safe & easier to drive while I plan and save for the next phase.

Do you have any more pics of your gas tank installation? The fuel filler behind the liscense plate is the only way to go in my opinion. I'm not interest in cutting a hole in the side of the truck nor having a fuel filler inside the bed of the truck. That just seems impractical, especially if you have a tonneau cover on it. I haven't been able to find anybody who has successfully made the conversion like you have though, so I'd love some pics if you don't mind.

As for the engine, I want to try to go with the 4.6 DOHC along with the companion EAOD trans. I'll either go with a 9" rear like you did or perhaps IRS from a Mark VIII. All this is at least a year or so down the road as I have a 37 Ford streetrod to finish first.

Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. Look forward to learning more about your truck.
dotcentral

Post by dotcentral »

Nice truck, good work on the mods. I really like that gas tank mod, too bad you don't know what it came out of.

Welcome to the site.
Driver: 71 F100 Shortbed: Disc swap, 5.0 HO EFI & AOD
Project Vehicle/Mild Custom: 66 F100 CC longbed: Sold
semotrucker

Post by semotrucker »

Welcome...nice truck :-) In the pic looking straight into the engine bay it looks like the engine is centered instead of offset to the passenger side...how did that work out for you? Thats the main reason I wouldnt put a V8 in my truck.Love the CV front end mod.Wheels look great also.

BTW...where are you in Ar? I was born in Clarksville and raised in Paris.Got lots of family down around Pocahontis and bought my truck(pics in profile) from a little old(96 years young) lady down by Conway.

Cam
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

:welcome: From NE Louisiana (Monroe). Nice looking truck. Always nice to hear of Slicks with a known history. Where in Arkansas are you located?

May I suggest that you also post an introduction in the Truck Talk section, referring to your P&B post, that way members who don't often get over to the Projects and Builds can share your story and photos.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
deviant1

Post by deviant1 »

:welcome: from Alabama! You have a nice ride. Be sure to share pics of the interior when you finish.
61 f100 shortbed unibody
sheltonsklassics

thanks guys

I'm located in stuttgart arkansas.About 75 miles SE of little rock and about 1.5 hours from memphis.I'm going to try and take a few more pics this weekend when I raise it up on the rack.I'll try to get some good shots of the front end and stuff.
Shelton's Classic Cars.We buy,sell & trade and also offer repair and custom services on classic,muscle and antique cars and trucks!
sheltonsklassics

engine bay

The engine is centered in the engine bay.Since I used the crown vic frontend and the 4.6 it just worked out perfect.Installed front end,bolted everything up to the factory crown vic motor mounts and WALLA ....Fit like a glove.
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

:welcome: from Phoenix.
Your truck looks good. Keep up the good work.

semotrucker - I have relatives that still live in Paris, Mo. They are Stones(owned a restaurant there) if you know them.
Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
randyr

Post by randyr »

Hey Shelton, did you ever get any pics of the underside of your truck? I'm particularly interested in how you mounted your gas tank to use the license plate access for the filler. Actually, I'd like to see the whole thing underneath! LOL! The top part really looks good!
Thanks.
Randy
Haus

Post by Haus »

Wow, she looks good. Trucks not bad either. I would like to see some more detailed pics of the tank setup also.