351 ??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

oldfordcoupe
United States of America

351 ??

Post by oldfordcoupe »

does anyone know off hand if you have to run a different timing cover if you swap over from a v belt to a serpiitein belt ??? i know the h20 pumps are different ?? :roll: :roll:
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I don't know about the timing cover but I would think that it is the same. You will need a reverse flow water pump with the serpentine belt. The belt goes around the opposite side of the water pump so it turns backwards.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

I have one out in the shop I'll look at it today and let you know I think they are different from the regular pumps. I'll post a picture too.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

I believe timing covers are same, since pump casting is the same as is the harmonic Balancer.
The difference in pumps is not size/shape but direction of rotation.
The impeller inside is what's different.
V drive pumps won't cool in serpentine applications as it wants to circulate coolant backwards.
It tries to pump coolant thru raditor, not Block & Heads. Without the
adequate & proper circulation thru Block & Heads, engine o'Heats fast.

FBp :roll:
Change is the Only Constant
bluebolt

Pumps

Post by bluebolt »

I have a lot of personal experience with small block Ford pumps and covers. So here is my opinon.

1. Oldfordcoupe, please post some more info about what you are trying to do. I need to know what engine/front cover you have now and what serpentine setup you want to run..

2. You can put a Mustang 1986-1993 reverse rotation pump on pretty much all 1966 to 1980's timing covers. The important thing is the new water pump has round holes in the back.

3. You are going to have to change the harmonic balancer out for a longer one to match the serpentine drive. You can't use the 5.0 one, it's 50 oz imbalance. You may be able to use a late truck 351W balancer, they never changed from 28 oz. I have not personally tried this yet.

4. Turning a SBF water pump in reverse will not reverse flow through the engine. The pump is a centrifugal taking water in towards the center and using centrifugal force to force it out through the outlet ports in the block. Effiency would be greatly decreased though.
61 Merc
Canada

Post by 61 Merc »

The difference between the serpentine and V-belt front cover is the serpentine belt cover does not have a mounting for the fuel pump and does not have the oil dip stick located in it.

Dean
61 Mercury SWB Uni - Project
62 Mercury SWB BBW - Race truck
63 Ford SWB Uni - Daily driver (Jinx)
63 Ford SWB Uni - Parts truck
bluebolt

Covers

Post by bluebolt »

Here's a link to images of teh different timing covers. Notice only one is a true reverse rotation cover RTCF-351RF. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/a ... -chart.jpg

You also have "short" covers used on 91-93 Thunderbird, 94-95 Mustang and 96-01 Explorers. They can only be used as reverse rotation.
oldfordcoupe
United States of America

Post by oldfordcoupe »

the engine that i'm going to use is a 72 eng. that i built up for my sons 64 fairlane that he does not drive anymore
bluebolt

Setrpentine

Post by bluebolt »

oldfordcoupe wrote:the engine that i'm going to use is a 72 eng. that i built up for my sons 64 fairlane that he does not drive anymore

Do you know what Serpentine setup you are going to use? I would suggest a 1990's truck setup, the V8 Mustang ones are harder to find and more expensive. I am fairly sure you will have to change the balancer to the late 351W to properly line up the pulleys.
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

do you have a truck oil pan? i dont know specifics but i do remember that trucks have the dip stick in the pan and cars havem in the t cover or sumthin like that. but i know that truck 302 are pan dipsticks
No, its not a windsor or a cleveland, its a three fifty TWO!
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

do you have a truck oil pan? i dont know specifics but i do remember that trucks have the dip stick in the pan and cars havem in the t cover or sumthin like that. but i know that truck 302 are pan dipsticks on serp setups
No, its not a windsor or a cleveland, its a three fifty TWO!