Slick front bumper slightly different than a Bumpside?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

john gilbert

Slick front bumper slightly different than a Bumpside?

Post by john gilbert »

I should know this but I don't. Maybe because my '65 F-250 had a bent bumper when I bought it and I never fixed it. Anyways the product development and engineering people at LMC Truck told me there' a slightly tighter curve around the valance to a slick front bumper than a Bump, so if anyone has a perfect Slick front bumper LMC would like to get their hands on it, and offer brand-new re-pops. Whoever supplies the pattern bumper, I'm sure will get the very first re-pop made.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Post by Gritsngumbo »

That is excellent news. I have a good bumper on my 64 parts truck. To the best of my knowledge it's original to the truck. It does have a slight pull below the bracket mount on the right side (looks like someone hooked a chain hook to it at some point) but remainder seems to be straight and true. If this would be helpful let me know.

If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

and the end cuts are different too.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I had a perfect painted slick bumper when I got my truck, but, no knowing any better at the time, it got tossed. I thought LMC was already offering slick bumpers in their catalog as a different number than 67-72 bumpers.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=57
Are they actually gonna make them in the US or overseas? would be nice to have an accurate representation no doubt.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
john gilbert

Post by john gilbert »

Last month when I toured LMC Truck was when they asked. I know when its all said and done, and thanks to help from you guys we'll have the right answer and go from there.

I don't where these things are going to be made, when I find out, you guys will know.

And thanks a lot!
ABA

Post by ABA »

Just how much of a difference is there...is it noticeable to the untrained eye?

Reason I ask is I was planning on using the front bumper off my '70 F250 donor on my Slick project since the Slick has no front bumper at all.

I did learn the hard way that the rear bumpers are WAY different. :shock:
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

To the untrained eye most likely not unless there were parked side by side. The ends are whats different a bump or dent side bumper will bolt on.
Tom Williams
Effie

Post by Effie »

I actually stopped and thought to take a pic the last time I saw a truck with the "wrong" bumper. I don't have any good pics of my bumper for comparison though....once you notice it, it'll stand out like a sore thumb on every truck you see after that. At least to me it does...but I'm OCD like that. Haha.

Here's the "wrong" bumper...

Here's a couple pics of the "correct" bumper on my '66.

~/\/\elissa~
Image '66 F100 -- Little Black
Image '78 Bronco -- Brutus

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I have a NOS 63 which is the same, except bumper bolts differently. However, It would take more than just one new bumper to talk me out of it, as the repops don't have the metal the old bumpers do. In fact I've offered this same bumper to several people in the club, and had no takers. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect.

Rich
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Repo bumpers are junk,, no matter who has them at this time,,,,,,,,,, we have tried several sources and when we get one in first thing I do is take mine off my truck, then just put one bolt in too see the fit take a few pictures send it back,, IN Reality if I was building a truck a good core would be found the sent off and made sure it was marked then sent back to me with my name on the back if not would not pay for it.. over the years I have seen plenty nice trucks with wrong bumper and its noticable in the person do not have to have a trained eye,, All these wrong bumpers got started overseas when they getting returns for not the correct cut,, well last year we found out who done what , ALL They took was a 67-77 cut the corners, then claiming 64-66 and then started popping them out and like most Big Companies some rather not mention but got wind starting doing it never really caring about whether it fits or not ,, also I send Kathy to Carpenters to get items like these bumpers and when she goes in the back and look through 15 or so comes back empty handed thats a waste of time also,, we have one place that back in June told me they hadover a 100 in stock and asked me why they are not selling and we where the first one to get one in months and you guessed it, it went back and the manager said they will not correct the problem till they get gone , well and this is the same company that few years ago where selling rear bumpers with only 4 holes instead of 6,, just not 64-66's having problems, the 67-77 fronts a good portion of them the chrome around the bolts holes are either coming off or the nickle showing there,,, We had 1 customer with a very nice 64 short bed that spent a good deal ofchange with motor changes etc.., well his body shop got a bumper from LMC,, When he drove his truck here for me to show him why his door handles kept falling off I asked whats the deal with the bumper,,, he never knew what I was talking about till I showed him and also when the bumper was installed
because it was wrong the bolts sucked in the bumper and split the chrome
My opinion which take it for what you think send your original that you know fits send it off and if you see Bumper Boys at these shows stay from them,, many things will be done to your bumper or whatever you get done and till all these not correct bumpers are pawned off and sold I doubt they will correct the problem, why ? you think these companies are going to throw 100's away in the dumpster or over Tawain you think they will throw all the ones away also,, not in the real world on paper they will but when it comes to the dollar not
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Repo bumpers are junk,, no matter who has them at this time,,,,,,,,,, we have tried several sources and when we get one in first thing I do is take mine off my truck, then just put one bolt in too see the fit take a few pictures send it back,, IN Reality if I was building a truck a good core would be found the sent off and made sure it was marked then sent back to me with my name on the back if not would not pay for it.. over the years I have seen plenty nice trucks with wrong bumper and its noticable in the person do not have to have a trained eye,, All these wrong bumpers got started overseas when they getting returns for not the correct cut,, well last year we found out who done what , ALL They took was a 67-77 cut the corners, then claiming 64-66 and then started popping them out and like most Big Companies some rather not mention but got wind starting doing it never really caring about whether it fits or not ,, also I send Kathy to Carpenters to get items like these bumpers and when she goes in the back and look through 15 or so comes back empty handed thats a waste of time also,, we have one place that back in June told me they hadover a 100 in stock and asked me why they are not selling and we where the first one to get one in months and you guessed it, it went back and the manager said they will not correct the problem till they get gone , well and this is the same company that few years ago where selling rear bumpers with only 4 holes instead of 6,, just not 64-66's having problems, the 67-77 fronts a good portion of them the chrome around the bolts holes are either coming off or the nickle showing there,,, We had 1 customer with a very nice 64 short bed that spent a good deal ofchange with motor changes etc.., well his body shop got a bumper from LMC,, When he drove his truck here for me to show him why his door handles kept falling off I asked whats the deal with the bumper,,, he never knew what I was talking about till I showed him and also when the bumper was installed
because it was wrong the bolts sucked in the bumper and split the chrome
My opinion which take it for what you think send your original that you know fits send it off and if you see Bumper Boys at these shows stay from them,, many things will be done to your bumper or whatever you get done and till all these not correct bumpers are pawned off and sold I doubt they will correct the problem, why ? you think these companies are going to throw 100's away in the dumpster or over Tawain you think they will throw all the ones away also,, not in the real world on paper they will but when it comes to the dollar not
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

:oops: sorry for double post said system was down...
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Phil

Post by Phil »

I'm running a 78 bumper. The horror :lol:
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Aww phil she is not that bad. A little promiscuous perhaps :lol:
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
john gilbert

Post by john gilbert »

You guys this is perfect, you don't know how much I appreciate no one holding back, and hitting the subject with both barrels. If any one of us ever holds back in the interest of PC, vested interests, or whatever else, its all over for our forums.

I'm not an employee of LMC Truck, or Source Intelrink Media, I'm a freelancer and that means if my credibility is bad, I'm out of work.

Now, back to the issue at hand. I'm really am turning into a forgetful old fart. I knew about the differences in the bumpers, except the last time I would have been able to tell someone would have been around the late 80s. Now that you guys have jogged my memory I went through all of this on my '65 F-250 when I half-arsed restored / modified it in '76.

Thanks again!
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

I like the 78/79's with the opening for front plate bumper could be a liitle narrowier or maybe insert that opening in a 64-66 bumper or before you chrome your old one cut that part into it then rechrome be different
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

willy3486

Post by willy3486 »

Not in the bumper question but I do have a statement on LMC. I bought a lot of stuff from them fixing my truck. I bought a lot of stuff like the rubber bumpers that hold the tailgate off and such. I also got other items as well. The only issue I had was with a chrome piece. I ordered one of the tailgate pulls that opens the tailgate. I had always wanted one and I really was glad to get it. It was one of those pieces I thought was a luxury I could have over one that was painted. I got it about 3 years ago and it has the chrome peeling off. Next to the trouble I had with my spray gun when I painted it the chrome tailgate was the biggest dissapointment for me on my truck. I had always wanted one and it is peeling off the chrome. The sad part is the truck has not been exposed to the weather. It has been in my garage. So I don't think I would want their chrome stuff unless it has improved. On the other hand I bought some outside door pulls off ebay. They were seconds offered by one of the companies that make them on the east coast. They were called seconds but they were flawless. and they are still that way today. So my suggestion is for them to improve their chroming process.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

And Willy That is why we sell the polished stainless steel handles, monting plates, s/s tail lights for stepsides to avoid all that problems s/s bumpers for 53-53 front or rears for stepside or ever think why some mfg's have different prices on outside mirrors big difference on quality
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch

Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

I'm just glad someone has taken any interest in redoing our stuff, and thank those that try, but sometimes dissapointed in the outcome. At ;this time, I would like to point out something I've not seen mentioned on the forum, damaged bumper mounts. Often when the bumper has been hit in the middle, those mounts will be slightly bent in towards each other. I think many times over the years, a new bumper was ionstalled and no attention paid to this minor problem. As a result, I believe that the later bumpers are made to look even worse because the bent pieces force the bumper in in the middle and out at the ends. I know I can improve the looks of the later bumper by messing with these two pieces. there are limits on how much can be done this way, and you must be carefull on how much you try to tweek it. I feel certain that some of the really big gaps at the bumper end are caused in part by this. Easy enough to tell by running a straight edge accross the front two mounts with the bumper off. I adjust these by putting the old bumper back on, and using a hydraulic jack between the cross member and the ends . this can be tricky, and you have to use some enginuity to do what needs done. You could also just use an extra large cresent wrench and hammer , or make a tool for the job.

Rich
winr

Post by winr »

Hi John.

I have anice 64 and 65 bumper, would I get the bumper/s back after they were through with them ??

TIA.

Richard.
All your Slicks are belong to us