14 y/o kid needs my intake

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Are you willing to contribute to this kid's intake fund?

$1
No votes
$2
No votes
$3
No votes
$4
No votes
$5
No votes
$6
No votes
$7
No votes
$8
No votes
$9
No votes
$9
No votes

Total votes: 0

blackagatha

14 y/o kid needs my intake

Post by blackagatha »

I HAVE A PROPOSITION
You guys always want to help each other out (And ME!!!-thanks, guys), and I'm thinking, granted, he's not a bonafide slick (72 F100), but he deserves it....

I want to try to start a Paypal Pledge pot so that I can flat out GIVE my Weiand 4 barrel intake to the kid for FREE without shooting myself in the A$$ for the $100 that I KNOW i can get for it....

If I could convince 20 people to drop $5 in the Paypal pot, or whatever you're willing to pitch for a kid with a Ford, Shoot me a PM or just post it on here, and if we get enough people willing to contribute to make it worthwhile, I'll ask you to go ahead and send whatever you can give.

Does that sound okay?

Help me make this kid's christmas great.

And I'll buy a tube of silicone and go help him put it on right....
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
re54drider

Post by re54drider »

Ok. Let me see if I got this straight. You had an unused intake on a shelf in your shop. You had no money nor plans to make any money by selling said intake. You see an ad from a 14 year old who needs an intake so he can get his truck running. You agree to a price of $50. You then check on ebay and find a similar one with bidding reaching $100. You now want the members of this club to buy your intake for $100 so you can 'give' the intake to the kid. Does that sound about right?
Personally, I think you are being tested and think that if it were me I would give the kid the intake with the only compensation being that he bring the truck to your place (or if not running, go there) so you can 1) make sure the intake is installed correctly by assisting, and 2) Begin a friendship that could last a lifetime.
Falcon Interceptor

Post by Falcon Interceptor »

re54drider wrote: Personally, I think you are being tested and think that if it were me I would give the kid the intake with the only compensation being that he bring the truck to your place (or if not running, go there) so you can 1) make sure the intake is installed correctly by assisting, and 2) Begin a friendship that could last a lifetime.

I totally agree. This may seem a bit harsh, but you are being quite selfish here. You should not even think you can only do someone a favor if you get something in return.

You're not doing anyone any favors. You're just trying to get what you want and that is selfish so take a long look at yourself and decide what you're going to do.

Regardless of what the item is worth, you basicly lied to the kid when you agreed to take $50 and then said well I'm greedy and would like more money.

And by the fact that you're asking us to pay for it, you are by no means doing any bit of charity to give it to the kid. We are not even helping him, we're helping you. I think many people here would be glad to help out, but simply the way you're doing it seems wrong. I want $100 for this so mail me the money and I'll send the item some kid who needs it. As long as I get my money, let's make this kid happy. And all this over $50 because he already wants to give the other $50. And how long will that money last these days, tank of gas? It'll be spent in a week anyway.

If you really want to help, yes either be nice and let him have it for what he's got ($50, you did agree to that) or just give him the thing that you don't need, nor even think is any good. That is called a gift. You are usually not paid to give gifts.

I personally feel you should not be asking for charity of others so so that you can do a good thing, because that is not how giving works. If you need a $100, by all means go sell the thing on ebay and let the kid find a better deal somewhere else. Otherwise like I said, take a look at yourself and do what you feel is right.

Again, if you don't want to help, don't. But don't expect anyone else to pay you to do it. If you feel bad about backing out on the deal, maybe you should but that's your problem. Don't lure us into buying your "lousy" items. Who is really going to benefit?
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Sorry to tell you this Aggy, but I agree with the other 2 guys.
Don't expect us to pay for YOUR good deeds. This is exactly what ticks me off about Oprah Winfrey. :cussing:
She is always giving away "Gifts" someone ELSE paid for, and taking the credit for it.
Annoys the crap out of me. Suckers in a LOT of women into thinking she is a saint.
She didn't get to be the richest woman in America by giving away HER own money :evil:
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on November 16, 2009, 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

down_1_Revan.gif down_1_Revan.gif
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Helping the kid out will get you something in return - just not money.
You will have done a good thing - this should make you feel good (dang I hate sounding all squishy). Seriously - you could make a friend. If he turns out to be a friend he may be there someday for you. A risk - somewhat, but one worth taking if he seems like a good kid.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
cookster4495

Post by cookster4495 »

I dont remember Fred asking for donations when he helped you with that geo/prizm car. Time to man up. Be a hero,there are enough zero's.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

you guys are right. now I'm feeling like a total a$$... for even coming up with that thought process, let alone posting it here and expecting you to cough up money....

I'm relatively broke right now, so I start pinching pennies and become a greedy bastard over pittance amounts.... It's disgusting. Honestly my whole situation right now disgusts me.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Hey don't beat yourself too bad this close to Christmas and tight money. At least you see the light.
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I'd ask Greg to delete this thread
Kid
United States of America

Post by Kid »

if you want it deleted just let me know and we can do it
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Gonna toss my two cents worth in here.

First, I believe it is admirable for BA to admit his "thought process" was a little skewed. I can certainley understand if he wants to have Greg delete this and the associated posts. I also think it is commendable that Greg would do so.

But....
Rather than deleting these posts, would the group be better served by putting these posts in the "member's only" section? Aren't posts such as this one of the reasons the "member's only" section was formed?
I see these posts as being a statement as to the character of the current members of this group, and a guide for future members.

Whatever BA decides to do with these posts is all right with me, and I will support. The decision is his alone.

Again, just my two cents worth.

Roger Carter
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Well spoken Rodger,

Or if it is possible to paraphrase the old Dragnet series:

Only the names were changed to protect the not so innocent!

You are right though the decision should be BA's
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Rather than deleting these posts, would the group be better served by putting these posts in the "member's only" section? Aren't posts such as this one of the reasons the "member's only" section was formed?
I see these posts as being a statement as to the character of the current members of this group, and a guide for future members.

yeah everyone looks pretty good but the OP.

Just saying.
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

I am sure that if each of would look back over our lives and are truthful to ourselves We all have experienced questions of judgment especially those with families and at this time of year. The OP has done nothing to be looked down upon He sought the council and accepted the views of his peers.
Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Obsa wrote:I am sure that if each of would look back over our lives and are truthful to ourselves We all have experienced questions of judgment especially those with families and at this time of year. The OP has done nothing to be looked down upon He sought the council and accepted the views of his peers.

And, admitted he had a lapse of judgement, in a public forum.

Roger Carter
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Yes, a clear sign of good character in my opinion.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Roger Carter wrote:Gonna toss my two cents worth in here.

First, I believe it is admirable for BA to admit his "thought process" was a little skewed. I can certainley understand if he wants to have Greg delete this and the associated posts. I also think it is commendable that Greg would do so.

But....

Whatever BA decides to do with these posts is all right with me, and I will support. The decision is his alone.

Again, just my two cents worth.

Roger Carter

x2, but one of my pennies had too much steel in it and got welded to part of my truck so i only got 1 cent left. :shock:
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

I thought I could use a penny (copper) to use as a backer to plug weld a hole but after the third or fourth zap with the torch - poof! Put a big hole in Lincoln's head.

So I yelled 'Sic Semper Tyrannis!' and threw it across the room. :roll:
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

Max wrote:I thought I could (delete) Put a big hole in Lincoln's head.
:

i think booth already did that... :oops:
( hey , its dead presidents joke week ...right ? )
[b]'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER