Suspension help

A place just for our project & build threads.

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

jshelley45

Suspension help

Post by jshelley45 »

I am planning to put a mustang II suspension in the front of my 62 unibody and a tbird Independant rear suspension in it. I was recently told this body style is too top heavy and will likely rollover with this setup. I want y'all opinion on this. I plan to install the largest available swaybars.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

MII not a good front end. The 03 up Crown Victoria works well & so does the Dodge Dakota front with an aftermarket crossmember.
Tom Williams
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

x2.

if i was doing that i think i would go with the crown vic.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
64low-n-slow

Post by 64low-n-slow »

I did MII before I knew about this forum. Probably would not do it again, but have not driven the truck yet. If you want to do IRS then definitely go w/ Crown Vic and the wheel offsets will be the same on all 4 corners. Explorer IRS might be a better option due to the weight of the slick.

Good luck. Post pics!
jshelley45

Post by jshelley45 »

I may go the crown Vic route I've found 2 ex cop cars at the local salvage yard that are complete minus the intake.

But my originla question was, with me putting an independant suspension in the front and rear of the truck cause any tip over issues?

From what I've read I should be able to use stiffer springs and larger sway bars to counter and body roll I generate.
randyr

Post by randyr »

jshelley45 wrote:I may go the crown Vic route I've found 2 ex cop cars at the local salvage yard that are complete minus the intake.

But my originla question was, with me putting an independant suspension in the front and rear of the truck cause any tip over issues?

From what I've read I should be able to use stiffer springs and larger sway bars to counter and body roll I generate.

Both the crown vic IFS and tbird/mark viii IRS have big sway bars and both cars weigh as much or more than your slick. Why would you have excessive body roll using these components??
Read this thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/71605 ... -f100.html
tschmitt

Post by tschmitt »

Crown vic swap would be the way to go. Kind of wish I had done mine that way but im sure I will have another slick someday to try my hand at it.
jshelley45

Post by jshelley45 »

I've sourced my parts. A salvage yard near my house said I can get the crown vic front suspension and my choice of ford IRS for $400 for the set. But I have to pull them myself. Now I just need to decide on which seats I want to use. I can get a free lowback split bench with power from a mercury. Or I found some really cool looking retro buckets in an old ford super van
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sounds like a good deal to me... He shoots...and he scores..... way to go
jshelley45

Post by jshelley45 »

I've sourced my parts. A salvage yard near my house said I can get the crown vic front suspension and my choice of ford IRS for $400 for the set. But I have to pull them myself. Now I just need to decide on which seats I want to use. I can get a free lowback split bench with power from a mercury. Or I found some really cool looking retro buckets in an old ford super van
jshelley45

Post by jshelley45 »

well the salvage yard near my house lied to me. He doesnt have any 2003 or newer Crown vics, so it looks like I may have to start my search again. The other yards within 2 hours of my house want to tally up all the individual pieces to give me a price.
36truck
United States of America

Post by 36truck »

Tom Williams
oldfordcoupe
United States of America

Post by oldfordcoupe »

thats what i just did a 04 crown x police car that was salvage from the local county