Updating Instrument Cluster Gauges..

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64Ranger

Updating Instrument Cluster Gauges..

Post by 64Ranger »

I know this topic has been covered before, but I can't find it. I want to replace the stock gauges in my 64 Speedometer Cluster with some modern ones. I remember someone on here that had done that. I want them to look similar to the stock ones, when assembled but to be more accurate. Does anyone remember what brand gauges were used?
Thanks for any help.
Doug
Riverside, CA
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Doug. are you upgrading the gauges in a stock, round cluster? Because I'd like to know if that's possible, too, especially the gas gauge.
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

I have the big truck speedometer cluster that has the oil pressure gauge, temperature gauge, fuel gauge and amp gauge. I thought someone here had upgraded these gauges on the cluster, but I could be wrong.
Thanks
Doug
Riverside, CA
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Doug Thats what I run in my Unibody, and what I will run in the Merc. My gas gauge is backward on the unibody, no matter how I wire it. Newer Ford car gas tank/sender. I would sure like to know how to do this as much as you.

JC
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Doug Thats what I run in my Unibody, and what I will run in the Merc. My gas gauge is backward on the unibody, no matter how I wire it. Newer Ford car gas tank/sender. I would sure like to know how to do this as much as you.

JC

JC,can you take a pic of your tank sender and wiring harness, i have adapted a few before and might be able to help.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ice, it is tight up under the bed of the unibody, can't get in there to snap a pic. No harness, just a black ground wire and an orange hot.
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

so did you run new wires or splice in the ones from the tank you got?
if you unhook the ground wire what happens?

gauge will read full when orange wire is grounded , on the behind seat tank, if you turn the key on and take the orange wire off the sending unit and ground it, gauge will go to full, if not the sending unit is bad.
all sending units work like that.
you are either grounding the orange wire somewhere along the line, or the unit is somehow grounding internally, which i have never seen happen before.
sorry to be a hijacker, we should take this to PM or another post.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton