Installing Shoulder Belts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

banjopicker66

Installing Shoulder Belts

Post by banjopicker66 »

I am looking at installing shoulder belts in my Slick, is there any issue with bolting the third point to the metal shroud/plate between the window and the door? Is the metal strong enough to handle an accident without ripping loose?
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

There's also this thread, in which I just posted some of my thoughts on the issue:

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 781#137781
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

I too chose to just post my comments on the "seatbelts in my 62" thread over in the Tips and Tricks section.

I think you (banjo) have seen mine. They are anchored with 12" x 1 x 1/4" strap iron behind the stiffener. Would have to take out the whole corner stiffener. Possible, but still far better than just a lap belt.
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
Phil

Post by Phil »

I too just mentioned my mistakes in that thread on my 1st use of aftermarket seatbelts
Someday I'll get another slick :(
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

look at my post on the seatbelts in a 62 thread.

I dont believe the corner panel will withstand the pulling force applied by your chest. I think the spot welds will pop right out...

I strongly recommend the reinforcing plates I hammered out with the torch. They were in fact difficult to get into the proper shape, but worth every moment of effort in my book.

the plates wedge firmly into the door and window frames.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
The Big M
Canada

Post by The Big M »

That is a concern as well. I've done some rudimentary finite element analysis on an approximation of the corner panel, but it's 100% dependent on the assumption that the spot welds will hold.
charliemccraney

Post by charliemccraney »

Have you all ever tried to remove a panel by prying the spot welds loose? It's not easy. I don't doubt that in a big enough collision that panel will deform or possibly tear off but I suspect that in an accident of that magnitude, the failure of that component will probably be inconsequential.
It would be interesting if anyone here is an engineer who can calculate the approximate force required to cause that panel to tear off.
Lawrenceville, Ga
1961 F100 Unibody
318 Y-block (292 +.070 bore, +.170 stroke), FMS T5-Z w/Mustang 10.5" diaphragm clutch.
MattsIASlickShop

Post by MattsIASlickShop »

Yeah, I think the corner panel is strong enough with a backing plate to slow your body enough from being speared too hard with the steering shaft. even if it tears loose, it will not go as deep as when you have no belt, or just a lap belt.

Assuming, of course, that the cab isn't going to slide forward because the cab mounts have rotted off... :roll:
kstones63
United States of America

Post by kstones63 »

I used 2 pieces of 1"x1/4" flat welded above each other and curved to fit behind the panel. The mounting nut is welded to these pieces and then then it is all tacked in to hold it in place.
In a very bad accident I would be more worried about the steering wheel on the early models with the steering shaft connected to the steering box, coming back and hitting you instead of you hitting the wheel.

Kevin
kstones63
95 F350 Flatbed Dually Diesel