Transfer Case Mounts

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

YukonCor55

Transfer Case Mounts

Post by YukonCor55 »

I just replaced the motor mount bushings on my 62 F-250 4 x 4. They were shot. Well after patting myself on the back (way too much) for a job well done, my wife asked me if there were any other "rubber thingys" that needed replacing under there?? I said no because I thought the transfer case was rigidly mounted to the frame. I decided to take a look anyway...I was wrong. The rubber bushings are probably in worse shape than the ones on the engine! I've looked in Carpenter and LMC but I can't find any specific busings for the Dana transfer case. The upper bushings look a lot like the upper engine mount ones (round conical shaped) but I cant say for sure which ones are right. As always, any help for an uneducated (but willing to learn) newbie is much appreciated!
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
Comet

Post by Comet »

Try 4x4 shops. Daystar makes a bunch of different mounts. Or fab something up yourself from a hard rubber.
My Slick is rustier than your Slick! :D
tomsrod
United States of America

Post by tomsrod »

ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

i saw the e-bay ones,but i have always got mine from the dealer.
the same ones were used from 1959 into the late 70s.
the dealer may be reluctant to look up stuff in the microfiche because they like to sell the new stuff so copy down the part# and use it when or if you go there so they dont have to look too hard or long to find them.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

Thanks to all. Looks like a perfect fit! I have to fight the urge to spend my money on "Bling" for my truck while there's still so much primary mechanical work to be done. There's certainly nothing sexy about motor mounts! Anyway, I'll probably order from the Bronco Graveyard...anybody have any experience with them??
SMSgt USAF Retired
1962 Ford F-250 4 X 4, 1955 Ford Fairlane, 1955 Ford Ranch Wagon, 2002 Indian Chief & a couple of old Fender guitars...Life's Good!
"The credit belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...his place shall never be with those cold, timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)
nuwave

Post by nuwave »

I just changed my mounts 2 weekends ago. I got them from NPD. The stock ones had a metal washed embedded in the top and the replacements did not so not sure what that will mean in the future. When I took them off, the entire stud came out and the crown nut did not move. I also had to pound the studs out of the old mount, but all in all it was an easy job. I did them 1 at a time so nothing moved.

If you did not notice, there are access slots in the cross member to get a wrench. I layed on my back for 5 min wondering how the %@# I was going to get a wrench in there before I noticed the slots. Being a newbie sucks sometimes!