Header Question??

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

62 UNI

Header Question??

Post by 62 UNI »

Could use some help here.......

My 62 Uni (the 1 pictured in my gallery) has had the stock engine replaced with a 352PI. Right now it runs stock ford exhaust manifolds & I was wanting to "update" that portion of the truck.......

Does anyone make a header that'll fit or.......will I be buying billet flanges & elbows to fab this up myself.

It's easier if I can get a set already do but if not........out comes the chop saw!!

Thanks for the help.

Paul
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Paul.
Why not call Sanderson and get a set that already fits your truck. They have a full 3/8" flange, heavy gauge tubes that are mandrel bent to fit and are ceramic coated.
BroncoTom has them and I think he'd concur that if they aren't the best available, the list of anything better is pretty damn short.
He's had his over two years now and NO discoloration, NO LEAKS.
Just a thought.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
62 UNI

Post by 62 UNI »

Uncle Skip,

I actually called sanderson - they said they didn't have a set to fit my application!!! I've got the e-mail to prove it.

I'll call again......it was back in the summer (July).

Paul
Hawkrod
United States of America

Re: Header Question??

Post by Hawkrod »

62 UNI wrote:Could use some help here.......

My 62 Uni (the 1 pictured in my gallery) has had the stock engine replaced with a 352PI. Right now it runs stock ford exhaust manifolds & I was wanting to "update" that portion of the truck.......

Does anyone make a header that'll fit or.......will I be buying billet flanges & elbows to fab this up myself.

It's easier if I can get a set already do but if not........out comes the chop saw!!

Thanks for the help.

Paul

FYI, There never was such a thing as a 352PI. Ford never made any PI engines out of FE's except 390 and 428 and those cars had special ID codes (engine code was P). You probably have a 352 Interceptor. That is the name Ford gave the new 352 engine in 1958. All 1958-1960 352's are "Interceptors" and are not special or different or even high performance. Here is a good reference (sorry pictures are gone) from the FordFE pages: http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/message/1035291941/Sounds+to+me+like+a+simple+misinterpretation+of+a+marketing+gimmick .Hawkrod
62 UNI

Post by 62 UNI »

I stand corrected.........thank you for that info......(that was informative good reading - your right - to bad the pix are gone.)

So.........same question on my 352 I.........

Paul
Bills 66

Post by Bills 66 »

Headers for a 65 or 66 4x4 might fit. I think the passenger side should be O.K. The drivers side might have some steering box issues. May be the Iceman could eyeball his wife's '66 and a uni and see. Headers and a small cam will really wake up a 352.
Bill
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

the ones on Mrs.Icemans truck are for the later 66-79 4x4s, and would most likely interfere with the early gearbox and clutch linkage.cant find any for the early 4x4s at all, would like some for the y-block but they dont make any for the 4x4 ys.
here is a pic of a 460 in a 65 f600 that is the same steering configuration, you can see how the headers were made.flashback Tom saw the truck in person, maybe he can give some input as to how the headers were done but i think you will need to fab your own or modify a set.
[albumimg]1713[/albumimg]

Mrs. Iceman is not here today, so i cant get a pic of hers other than to show the engine compartment

[albumimg]1714[/albumimg]
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

62 UNI wrote:I stand corrected.........thank you for that info......(that was informative good reading - your right - to bad the pix are gone.)

So.........same question on my 352 I.........

Paul

I only mentioned it as it could be very embarassing to get your truck done and in a magazine and then see all the letters to the editor the next month about what an idiot the owner was! LOL It happens like that all the time whether it is a magazine article, a car show, or even a car being sold at an auction. It can be humiliating and casts a cloud of doubt over the rest of the work because "if he made that up what else did he make up?". I always consider more important to be correct and factual than to look or sound good when speaking about my car or truck. Plenty of BS out there already as we all know! Hawkrod
62 UNI

Post by 62 UNI »

Thanks for the input peoples!!

Paul
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Paul.
I have a '63 with a straight axle and a 390 and I'm using stock 427 cast iron headers that would normally fit in a passenger car. Of course, I have a C-6, but if your application is anywhere near the same as mine, Sanderson should have a "swept back" pair that will fit. Take some time to explain what you have.
Did/ do you have the Trans-a-dapt crossmember in the truck. If its a different installation, they do make a shorty Y that looks basically like a small block header but it won't fit the Trans-a-dapt motor mount because it fits right in the middle of the motor.
Normally I wouldn't care, but they make really good stuff if you can find the right part.
If you'd like pictures of my installation, send me an e-mail and I'll fire off some photos that show how things fit in Nadine.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
62 UNI

Post by 62 UNI »

Thanks - pm sent.

Paul