Twitching at 20

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

douglloyd

Twitching at 20

Post by douglloyd »

No, not some excitable 20 year old - I'm closer to 50 than I'd like to be<g>

The speedo on my '66 is acting up - tops out at 20mph indicated no matter how fast the rest of the truck goes. Started this winter.

I pulled the drive cable & shroud out and they checked out OK. Cleaned and lubed up the spring drive cable, plugged it back through the shroud back into the drive gear and reinstalled from tranny (T-18) to speedo, making sure there were no kinks or tight curves in the cable.

Same problem - needle climbs to about 20mph and just quivers.

I've never had to mess with this gauge in any old car or truck before. Guess I need to pull the panel to get at this? What should I be looking for?

thanks,
Doug
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

The motor in the speedOmeter "clockhead" that lifts the needle when the inner drive cable turns is probably dirty or has gone Bad.
It's a simple motor with rotating Magnets as an armature that lift a drum by rotating inside it, which acts as a field as it's rotationally driven. The higher rotation the greater the magnetism the armature applys to drum which causes needle to move/ rise in accord. secret.gif

It can also be the needle shaft needle is pressed on is slipping, either at needle or field drum.It usually wont last long B4 needle drops off. . . . wha.gif

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant