piston rings

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

debauchee

piston rings

Post by debauchee »

I've been reading that cast iron rings are better than chrome if your not having the engine rebored. I ordered a set off ebay that I thought where cast iron but it turns out that the top ring and the oil seal are chrome and second ring is cast iron so I'm trying to decide weather to just throw them on anyway or keep looking for some cast iron rings. If I need to find cast iron rings, does any one know a good place to find them? No one seems to carry them for the 262.
62 f100 262
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

The chrome rings should do fine.as long as you hone the cylinder walls to get rid of the glaze,otherwise they will not seat to the cylinder walls.
debauchee

Post by debauchee »

I did hone the cylinder walls so I guess I'll go ahead and give them a try. Thanks.
62 f100 262
TxSlick66

Chrome or Chromoly

Post by TxSlick66 »

Chrome rings would be very bad to put in any street engine. I bet you meant chromoly filled rings.

They will do fine if they are chromoly, but you need a 400 grit stone instead of a 180 grit that is used with a cast iron ring for the hone job.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

Money you ENJOY wasting is NOT wasted money...
debauchee

Post by debauchee »

Just took a look at the package and all they say is "Heavy Chrome Plate" at the bottom of the package. They look like they are new old stock from the 60's
62 f100 262
TxSlick66

NO WAY I would use those chrome rings

Post by TxSlick66 »

They will NEVER seat especially on unbore cylinders. CHROME rings will use oil terribly. Moly fill is ahat you want.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

debauchee

Post by debauchee »

Well that's good to know. I just spent an hour looking for cast iron rings for a 262 and cant find any anywhere. Any one have any idea who sells them?
62 f100 262
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

http://www.citymotorsupply.com/

I have done ALOT of business with these guys. They can get darned near anything. In Dallas and San Antonio. I always get Hastings rings. My 351Windor in my Mustang has 50k miles on it now and never has used a drop of oil, using the Hastings moly rings.

Your results may vary if you do not bore it out. It is hard for a new ring that is ROUND to seal in an old cylinder that is OVAL shaped.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

don morris II

Post by don morris II »

never use chrome rings in a rering job only in new boars. oil rings are almost always chrome in older engines and are used in a rering job but compression rings are another story. in a rering use moly,plasma or cast. chrome will not seat in a used boar. newer engines use a nitrated oil ring. hope this helps :D
FORD, FAST, FLYING, FIRST, ALL START WITH F IS,NT THAT "SLICK"
debauchee

Post by debauchee »

well its looking like all they sell are chrome rings for this engine and I can only find one set of those available directly from Hastings. This might bring my project to a halt. There are some on eBay but they are ether standard or 30 over. Mine is 20 over so may need to pull the block and have it re bored to 30 over to fit those rings.
62 f100 262
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

Doubtful you can bore a block only an extra 0.010". They usually have that much wear already.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

debauchee

Post by debauchee »

come on, I need some good news on this project. The bad news just keeps stacking up.
62 f100 262
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

Good news is there are lots of 5.0s out there for cheap!
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

I've been reading this thread hoping you come up with a solution to something that seems like a simple problem at first glance. It looks like you're getting closer, though. Good Luck !!! :D
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
jakdad

Post by jakdad »

debauchee wrote:well its looking like all they sell are chrome rings for this engine and I can only find one set of those available directly from Hastings. This might bring my project to a halt. There are some on eBay but they are ether standard or 30 over. Mine is 20 over so may need to pull the block and have it re bored to 30 over to fit those rings.
These folks can fix you up.............
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/
Jim
debauchee

Post by debauchee »

Thanks jakdad, I think I'll try calling them to see what they have. I'm also eying this on craigslist.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/pts/1943225567.html

If it really is in good shape, it might be better to just clean up this engine, throw my manifolds on it, and get back on the road.
62 f100 262