newb question: 66 cab onto 77 highboy chassis?

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

nathan 66

newb question: 66 cab onto 77 highboy chassis?

Post by nathan 66 »

I know this has probably been discussed many times but I can't find it in the archives. Here it is, I have a daily driver 66 shortbed stepside 2wd f100. I also have a complete donor rig which is a 77 f250 4x4 with a 64 390fe, heavy duty dana 44 front, dana 60 rear, np205, np435, power steering, disc brakes etc. Being in california with our smog laws and the 77 being pretty thrashed, and 66's being way cooler, I want to put my cab on this chassis(minus the shortbed of course) and was wondering if anyone has any advice on some of the problems that they encountered. It is a column shift , auto trans cab. Thanks for the help!
66f100,63 5 window econoline,85 cj7
RustyW.

Post by RustyW. »

Nathan, Your 66 cab will fit right on the 77 frame if you going to use the 390 the motor mounts will probably have to be changed unless the 77 had a 390? I don't know enough to know when they quit using the 390. The steering column will fit right in the 66 cab only mod would be the firewall plate but they may not need to be modified at all just depends. And if your 66 cab is a Auto cab you will need to set it up for the clutch pedal which in my opinion will be the biggest pain in the butt. But not to bad everything does interchange pretty much. I could go on and on but don't want to tell you something you may already know. RustyW.
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

By the way ... Welcome !!!

:welcome:
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
don morris II

Post by don morris II »

:welcome: I have a 66 on 79 4x4 frame
FORD, FAST, FLYING, FIRST, ALL START WITH F IS,NT THAT "SLICK"
nathan 66

Post by nathan 66 »

Thanks everybody for the quick responses! The clutch pedal setup is my biggest obstacle but i plan on parking the truck for a good while anyways while doing the switchover. The 390 is already in the 77. It was done by the previous owner who swapped out the original 351m. I need to replace the drivers side front axle shaft and hub(both missing now) and clean everything up before swapping. That and convince the wife to let me use the whole driveway for a few weeks.....It's good to know that most of what I need from the 77 will switch right over. I'll keep you posted as i go. I've never done a project this big so I will probably be bending everyones ear from time to time in a panic.
65 66 Ford

Post by 65 66 Ford »

You will need your 77 steering column as your 66 column will be too long with the power steering. Also you will need a clutch pedal from a 65 or 66 cab, not hard to find or change.
Fran

65 Ford F100 CC style side looooongbedddddd

Be American buy American
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

welcome to the club. The swap is worth it in the end. As mentioned, the cab and rad support will bolt right up to the 77 mounts. Might as well get some 3" body lift blocks under them and you can throw 35"s on too. I am assuming you want to find a 65/66 longbed to go on there as well. Be aware that the 77 has a 4" longer wheelbase to compensate for the deeper cab that changed in 73-79. I would use the stock fuel tanks in the 77 as well. I did a 66 2wd on a 76 2wd frame and plenty of goodies switched over. good luck and keep us posted
Mark

Roger Carter
United States of America

Post by Roger Carter »

Hello and welcome.gif from the Portland, Oregon area.
Your swap is pretty straight forward, should be able to use most all Ford parts. Several members here have done the same swap.
The biggest obstacle is the extra length in the wheel base.

Roger Carter
nathan 66

Post by nathan 66 »

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it comin'! The 77 has a pretty heavy duty flatbed on it that is set up for welding(tank storage, etc). I will use that until I figure out a longbed set-up. What have you guys done to compensate for the added length? I dont have the skills to shorten the frame so that is out for now. I picked up a load of roof shingles today in the 66 and nearly bottomed it out. I will have to get the rest tommorow. CAN'T WAIT to get this done. I just got laid off though so i'm hesitant to jump right in....
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Most guys move the leaf mounts forward but then you'd need to shorten the driveshaft. If you like the flatbed, keep it.