SLICKSHOP Update

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Gritsngumbo
United States of America

SLICKSHOP Update

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Thought it was time to take a break and give everyone an update on the progress of my SlickShop (1,800 square feet clear span with 10' ceiling). My buddy and I have been working almost non-stop since SlickStock to get it ready to move trucks in and get to some serious work. I threw the landlord's workers out a week before SlickStock and told him we would finish it up. Slowest people in the world and sloppy isn't the word. He offered to pay for all the materials and deduct for our labor from the rent. Thank goodness for my buddy Whitney (who is as Anal-Retentive as I am) who did the majority of the wiring, including: Twelve 110 four-outlet boxes and four 110 two outlet boxes and two single 220 outlets all in conduit. Won't have to look far to plug something in. Here's a quick tour:

Overhead Entrance Door (Walk through door will be cut behind were the ladder is standing.)

Moving around the room. Eight foot door (probably barn door style) to the 16’X24’ storage room which will become paint booth, will be cut on the wall where the fan and yellow trash can is.

Built the workbenches, found the drawers at a salvage yard. Brien (Bluebolt) scored the Citgo pump island signs for me which now contain florescent lights. Just have to hang them.

He also scored the two 4'X8' rolling tables.

Refreshment Center (toilet and shower will go in the small room)

Office/Relaxation Area. High speed internet access. The couch? Us old guys sometimes need an afternoon nap :-).

Welding and Compressor Room. Bluebolt scored welding table. New Eastwood MIG welder, Hobart Plasma cutter and Eastwood Combo Media/Soda Blaster. Room is lined with many heavy sheets of 5/8” “fire-rated” sheet rock. Plan is to cover walls with sheets of metal when I can find/afford it.

Proud owner, who is glad it’s finally time to move in (don't know why he's not smiling). It’s been a long three months with lots of back-breaking work.

Here’s what it looked like when I rented the space.

Couple of shots of what it looked like after it was cleaned out and the floor painted. Removed the stairs and the two 4X4 posts. Covered the ceiling with foam board and hung new 8’ lights. Added insulation and many, many sheets of sheet rock.

Tomorrow is the official move-in day. We'll be taking the crew cab and the 63 Uni over tomorrow and get them positioned and then take the 63 F250 over later this week for brakes, then it will come back to the house garage and we'll take the 61 BBW Uni over to get in line on the project list.

First order of business will be to remove the front clip and the bed from the crew cab so I can see what I have to deal with. As I've upped the anti by committing to driving my crew cab to SlickStock V I've got to get to some serious work.

First priority is to finish up the 63 Uni and get it drivable and stoppable, breaks on the f250 so it's stoppable and then on to the crew. For the first time I will be able to move from project to project without having to move something out of the garage and move something in. I'm close to a deal so I'll have convenient access to a fork lift which will aid in removing beds, cabs, etc.

And did I say that it's air conditioned and heated? And the utilities are included in the rent?

It's been a lot of work and has taken much longer than I had anticipated, but I now have a really nice. well-equipped shop and now have no excuses not to get busy and get these projects going. Then I can buy more Slicks.

I am one lucky son-of-a-gun.

Stay tuned for details on the upcoming "Shop Warming" a little later on in the year, when hopefully, the weather cools a bit. Y'all come!
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything.

LITTLE RED: 64 F100 Short Style
BIG RED: 62 F100 Long Uni
BIG “UN": 63 F250 Long Flare
BBW RED: 61 F100 CC BBW Long Uni
CRIMSON CREW: 63 F100 "Stageway" Long Flare Crew Cab
"RANGER": 66 F100 CC Long Flatbed
"AVA" 1963 Avion T-20 Travel Trailer
“Lucille” 1955 New Moon 44’ Travel Trailer
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

saweet!
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
foodstick

Post by foodstick »

Dang, am I asleep dreaming? :wink:
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

good looking shop, looks better than my house actually
--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Hoofbeat Racer
Canada

Post by Hoofbeat Racer »

bitchin shop Grits!
Mark

Thunderboy

Post by Thunderboy »

I'm happy for you, Grits :clap: And pretty jealous, too!
Drew

66 F250 Frame swap, EFI 408W, ZF 5-speed swap (still!) in progress
63 Falcon Futura EFI 331W, T5, but not much progress... Slicks First!!!
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

8) Looking great Grits!, I want one!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
olliesshop
United States of America

Post by olliesshop »

Wow !!! That's one awesome shop.

I can barely move around in mine now I have so much stuff in it. I have to do some serious "Garage keeping".
Tim - 1961 F250 Uni
"Big Red" pictures ... http://olliesshop.smugmug.com/Trucks
Current build thread ... viewtopic.php?f=32&t=29505
Brian Taylor
United States of America

Post by Brian Taylor »

A true GARAGE MAHAL.
When you get done with all your projects you can take in borders with there projects.
Last edited by Brian Taylor on September 22, 2010, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
1966 Ford F-100 LWB 300
Johnny Canuck
Canada

Post by Johnny Canuck »

If a guy had a shop like that, he wouldn't have a reason to go home!!
It's a race.. Will hell freeze over or will JC finish his truck first. Stay tuned..
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

very nice.
i will be thinking about that while laying on the ground working on my trucks.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton
Truckrat
United States of America

shop

Post by Truckrat »

Grits, See what you get when you work for it! What a deal! Thats a REAL Nice shop. Can't wait to see it. Let me know when you have the "Shop Warming". TR
macgiobuin

Post by macgiobuin »

Wow! Pretty cool!
My Baby: 1966 F100
64Ranger

Post by 64Ranger »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug
Riverside, CA
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I guess I will have to go to Monroe just to work on my truck. I am very impressed Gerald, very nice shop. It looks like your set up for some serious work.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Re: shop

Post by ezernut9mm »

Truckrat wrote:Grits, See what you get when you work for it! What a deal! Thats a REAL Nice shop. Can't wait to see it. Let me know when you have the "Shop Warming". TR
yes, me too. i want to go to the shop warming!!!!! lol i will be down that way for thanksgiving this year.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
jwh f-100
United States of America

Post by jwh f-100 »

Wow that looks great, Grits. Congrats!!!! The shelf/bench/storage is great. That stuff can get real exspensive...
Jason

Beer will change the world.

I don't know how but it will.
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Officially a SLICK shop

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Well, yesterday it officially became a SLICK shop (not just a shop). Moved the crew cab and the 63 Uni in. Trying not to get things too crowded and leave plenty of room to work. Thanks to all of you guys and gals for the nice comments. I still can't quite believe my good fortune. Yesterday morning I was so excited I was like a kid at Christmas. Woke up at 6 raring to get the slicks moved.

The crew cab has been in the yard covered up for so long that I had forgotten how big it really is, how much work it needs. what a great project to work on and what an outstanding and unique truck it's going to be when finished.

Room for one more.

Truckrat
United States of America

Shop

Post by Truckrat »

Dang, those look small in there. I just didn't realize how big it is by the pics.
Did you say 1800 square feet? You are one lucky Slickster.
Enjoy yourself, Grits, but make sure you get in that afternoon nap on that big ol cushy couch! sleep.gif TR
Gritsngumbo
United States of America

Re: Shop

Post by Gritsngumbo »

Truckrat wrote:Dang, those look small in there. I just didn't realize how big it is by the pics. Did you say 1800 square feet? R
Yes, main room is 42.5' X 42.5' = 1806 sq ft. Trying to get my buddy to rent the adjacent space (1,200 sq ft, non-A/C) to use for storing trucks and parts.
Of course, he's an old Chevy guy (literally and figuratively) so there could be some cross-contamination :-) but I think I'm gradually bringing him around from the Dark Side.