air conditioner

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

rwhistles
United States of America

air conditioner

Post by rwhistles »

my 66 camper has a ford dealer ac unit installed. every thing seems to work.The blower comes on and the compressor kicks in. With a charge of R12 it might work. My question. What has to be done to change it to 134a.Also would it be better to change out the york compressor for a later style.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Lowell
United States of America

Post by Lowell »

I changed over an 86 Bronco a few years ago with a retrofit kit that contained the different hookup connections and a different metering valve . I dont remember what it cost ,but it wasnt too expensive. I then had a shop pull vacuum and charge it for me.I really cant say what you should do about the compressor , but i think the york was a good unit . might have leaky seals though if it hasnt worked for awhile
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

The big secret to converting to R 134 is the condinser. There is a slight difference in the condinsers between R 12 and R 134. I used a stock evaporator unit for my 65 Falcon but used a condinser that was designed for 134. As for your compressor the York compressors are tough but the Sandin compressors are a lot smoother and pull less load on the engine. I went with a Sandin compressor on the Falcon.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

OK Michelle got all that. Now what about the expansion valve did you keep that or convert to metering orfice.If the expansion valve worked with 134a are they still available if you need to replace one?
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

I kept the same expansion valve. As for a new one, I would suspect that the Mustang vendors would have it. The evaporator unit in my Falcon is the same as was in the Mustangs for 64, 65, 66
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
rwhistles
United States of America

Post by rwhistles »

Thanks a lot, with that info I was able to do a few shearches and found everything I need. Expansion valves are still readedly available, also there is a vintage air dealer close by.
1961 F350 pick up
1966 F350 camper
pugsly

Post by pugsly »

also you want to make sure you add ester oil and change all your o-rings to the green type. the only way the compressor gets lube is from the oil being picked up by the refrigerant. r134 will not 'pick up' the mineral oil from the r12 system, hence your compressor will fail. I have all of the retrofit fittings you could possibly need (bought out a dealership that went out of business) let me know the fitting sizes and i can send them to you! i believe the green o-rings are designated HNBR o-rings.

Pugsly
Jim

Post by 69supercj »

Hey pugs, I'm going to add a vintage '66 ish Mustang underdash system in my pickup and I might be needing some fittings, rings ect. Can you help me out?
pugsly

Post by pugsly »

sure can, let me know what you need!
Jim