Speedometer Cables.....

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

ABA

Speedometer Cables.....

Post by ABA »

Do they come in different lengths and will a later year like '67-71 hook up to a '65 speedometer?
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
ezernut9mm
Sweden

Post by ezernut9mm »

they did come in different lengths. the cable broke in my 61 (t-18) and i used the cable out of one i had laying around. i couldn't use the housing as they had different types of ends on them, but i cannot remember which truck i pulled it from. it was either a 67 with a com or a 71 with a np435 so i know the later cables were offered in the same lengths- i just don't know which one it was.
measure the length of yours and i'll bet someone can hook you up with a proper replacement.
always
"i believe i've achieved satisfaction".-bubbles
"should i be gettin" baked for this boys?"-bubbles

i could no longer keep "r.i.p.ing" all of our fallen brothers and sisters, so i say here, slick loads of love and much respect to all you beautiful people.
macgiobuin

Post by macgiobuin »

I just got one from LMC Truck and am not unhappy with it.
My Baby: 1966 F100
63unibodyboy

speedo cable

Post by 63unibodyboy »

I went online to the napa site,called my local napa store with the item number and they had one for me in three hours,got it home and when i started to install it I seen my cable broke inside the speedometor,I could not get the broken piece out,I had another speedometor so i swaped it,hooked it up and it worked great, the cable was under 20 bucks, I have had my truck for 16 years and speedo never worked,its nice to have it working again,so fyi check your speedo to see if you have some cable stuck in the hole before installing the new one,I did try to replace it years ago with a cable from my other slick and it broke right away now i know why. :roll:
ABA

Re: speedo cable

Post by ABA »

63unibodyboy wrote:I went online to the napa site,called my local napa store with the item number and they had one for me in three hours,got it home and when i started to install it I seen my cable broke inside the speedometor,I could not get the broken piece out,I had another speedometor so i swaped it,hooked it up and it worked great, the cable was under 20 bucks, I have had my truck for 16 years and speedo never worked,its nice to have it working again,so fyi check your speedo to see if you have some cable stuck in the hole before installing the new one,I did try to replace it years ago with a cable from my other slick and it broke right away now i know why. :roll:
My issue is I have done a engine/trans swap and the cable hook up on the trans is on the RH side so cable is too short. Engine/trans came out of a '71 F250. That's probably what I need to get one for.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Jerry, my Slick had a T-85N 3-speed overdrive originally. That is one long speedo cable because it inserted into the back of the OD housing.
However, it is the right length, if a bit long, for my 460/C-6 setup, which uses '78 F-250 engine mounts to position the drivetrain correctly.
Maybe that is the application you need to look for?
ICEMAN6166
Poland

Post by ICEMAN6166 »

4x4s are longer as well because the gear is in the transfer case.
1966 F250 4x4
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
Rest in peace departed Slick family members
Cam Milam
Lesley Ferguson
Steve Lopes
John Sutton