Back to the axle

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cerberus1966Six

Back to the axle

Post by cerberus1966Six »

No responses on the old thread when we posted the info folks suggested we look for, so here goes again:

tag found under 1" of grease: Ford axle, codes C5T-F 678-4, gear ratio listed as 3.54.

Is this an F-series axle? Is it equalock? Anybody have the low-down?
Cerberus
1966 I-Six / 4-speed
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Is your truck a 3/4 ton with 6 lugs?
Judging just from the ratio, I'd say its a Dana 44 open. They didn't make a 3.54:1 9", locked or otherwise.
If it was a locked rear end, the tag would have an "L" between the 3 and the 54.
Do the gears come out of the front of the axle or out of the back. By that, I mean do you take a cover off the back or does the entire assembly come out the front.
A 9" comes out the front in one piece. A Dana has a cover on the back.
A picture or more info would help us solve your problem.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
cerberus1966Six

back to the axle...well

This is a Ford axle, or so the tag says, and it looks like every other 9" I've ever seen--drops out the front (OK, I know not all 9" look *exactly* the same; this one's plug is in the back of the housing, for instance, not the drop-out member). 5 lugs. No pix, so you'll have to believe me on that.

If none of the codes on the affixed tag match Ford numbers, but it has Ford written on that very tag, I don't quite know where to go with this. Maybe an axle from some other Ford application than an F-series? As noted previously, a separate tag says to use lube specifically for limited-slip applications.
Cerberus
1966 I-Six / 4-speed
cerberus1966Six

eating some crow

It's amazing what better light will do for you--shows you just how big the crow is that you're eating. Not being upside down and backwards sort of straightens things out, too...

Here's more on that axle:
10 bolts on the *back* of the pumpkin. Filler/drain plugs on the back and front.

Tag still says FoMoCo, but another half-rubbed-off number appeared, so it reads like this:

C (or O?)5TA-F
2678-4 3.54

Does that match up with anything?
Cerberus
1966 I-Six / 4-speed
shawns fords

Post by shawns fords »

try this link it explains how to decipher them numbers, thats obviously a 65 truck part number
http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/partnumb.htm
Hawkrod
United States of America

Post by Hawkrod »

I am surprised nobody bothered to look this up in the MPC. The C5TA-F axle is a Dana 60.2 limited slip 3.54 rear axle for a 1965 or 1966 F100. It should be a 5 lug axle and have a removable rear cover. Hawkrod
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

some of these trucks came with dana rear end that was 3/4 ton but in a 1/2 ton truck with 5 lug removable brake drums or it could be the same as one I have here in a 65 that uses the same axles from 48-65 + same differential look and see how the axles are held in there If it has the bolts that have the axle on the outside then it's that type like the 3/4 ton in a 1/2 truck or the other type is the spicer type which is rare, Both rear ends are more rare than the old reliable Ford " We had that 1/2 ton Fire Truck that we sold had the 3/4 ton dana rear end that was geared at 3:54 that was good on gas as opposed to the 9" which most are 3:70 gears or lower
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
cerberus1966Six

Thanks, guys. The link is helpful, and the info has us going in the right direction. The door tag says, according to the decoder on the site, that the axle should be 09 (3.70), so it looks as if at least one of them--axle or door--has been swapped. We may have a Frankenstein of sorts on our hands.

Cerberus
Cerberus
1966 I-Six / 4-speed