Horn repair

NY, NJ, PA, DE, DC, MD

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Marty in PA
United States of America

Horn repair

Post by Marty in PA »

Have to perform surgery on the horns. Any idea how to remove the horn button in the center of the steering wheel on a '65 F100?

Thanks,
Marty

Keep warm!
Marty

1965 F100 Short Bed w/390 and 4 on the floor.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Push down and turn counter-clockwise !
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

That worked but it looks some internal patrs are missing ie the contact brush. Any idea where to find a diagram? I would like to what supposed to be there before looking for parts..
Marty

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
Jonas
United States of America

Post by Jonas »

Marty I am trying to to do same thing. I would like to see a diagram of what should be there. I have the center piece and a large spring. I think I am missing the small sping conducter.(can be bought for less then 10 bucks from DC. I think there might be a rubber piece needed too.
1966 F100 SWB 390/Toploader/Ford traction Loc

1997 F250HD 460 4X4

2004 RoadKing

1984 FLHS

1978FXE
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

It is obvious someone before me removed the steering wheel (or tried). I'm kinda thinking some other parts might me missing once I get the steering wheel off take a look around.

Yeah I have seen the catalogs like Carpenter, MAC etc parts aren't expensive. If it needs other parts though I would like to begin by knowing what supposed to be there.

If I find an exploded view I'll let you know.

Marty
Marty

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

Is there one in the LMC catalog? It may be accessible online. From memory (and I've had mine off a few times) it's the chrome buttone, the 3 prong plastic retainer, the big spring over the nut. There's the small spring/brush thingy that goes in the little hole towards the bottom. To go further I think you have to remove the big nut and pull the wheel or at least the metal plate (?) and there is a second spring/brush down there somewhere.

As always, you're welcome to stop by my freezing cold garage and I can twist the knob off for you. :)
Stop The Longbed Hate! :)
'65 F100 Custom Cab bought 2002/Sold 2014
Now: '93 F150 Lightning
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

Thanks. I have been wanting to cross the river and visit you just haven't gotten there yet.

Marty
Marty

slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

im not at my desk to look at the real books, but here is a pic i have had. it might help?

--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

Thanks!

Great Stuff.

Marty
Marty

Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Man there's ALOT of parts in a column...............note to self........DO NOT take column apart !
INEPTOCRACY: (in-ep'-toc-ra-cy) : a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Marty in PA
United States of America

Post by Marty in PA »

good advice. I'll stick to te horn.
Marty

DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

I'd like to get a 'spare' column to take apart before I'd ever attack mine. Either that, or it gets shipped to Flashback Tom for a rebuild.
65 66 Ford

Post by 65 66 Ford »

The hardest part of rebuilding the steering column is removing the wiring pins for the turn signal switch and horn from the two plastic connectors. Just make sure that you mark the location of the wire pins.
Fran

65 Ford F100 CC style side looooongbedddddd

Be American buy American
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

65 66 Ford wrote:The hardest part of rebuilding the steering column is removing the wiring pins for the turn signal switch and horn from the two plastic connectors.

The hardest one is the first pin. After I figured it out the rest were done in minutes, but they are fussy little things.
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Fanatic wrote:Man there's ALOT of parts in a column...............note to self........DO NOT take column apart !

I'm trying to never take anything apart again.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
DV65CustomCab
United States of America

Post by DV65CustomCab »

66fordtrucknut wrote:
I'm trying to never take anything apart again.
Charlie

But you've got excellent experience at it. :rotflmao:
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

Wish I had the experience of putting them back together. I'm still trying to get Subaru back together. What a PIA went from a cv replacement to ball joints now wheel bearings, had to take the whole lower control arm/hub off to cut the balljoint in half with a grinder to get it apart and the pinch bolt was rounded off by a po, thats how my weekend went last weekend, oh plus snapping off 2 breaker bars getting off the axle nut.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS