Gas tank pressure, venting question. Need advice from Gurus

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

cdherman

Gas tank pressure, venting question. Need advice from Gurus

Post by cdherman »

OK, there was a thread a couple of weeks ago about pressure build up in gas tanks and it never exactly got answered.

Its clear that the gas cap vents to prevent vacuum build up in the tank. But what about pressure?

What was original? Vented one way or both?

I cannot get the fuel line to seal and before I give up on that, I want to be sure that I have the right gas cap.

Thanks.......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
66fordtrucknut

Post by 66fordtrucknut »

CD, If you take your cap off and shake it, it should rattle. I bought a new one and it was building up pressure. At ss2 someone asked if I had the right cap. I took it off, it did'nt rattle, whacked it on the curb, bingo, I guess it was stuck. I don't know whether this is correct info. but it worked for me.
Charlie
62' SWB uni 223
66' F-100 Short/wide 352
78' F-350 dually dumpbed 400
12' F-150 5.0 3:73 LS
ras4434

Post by ras4434 »

FWIW: The two I have that are currently running would run with or with out the caps on. One has an aftermarket cap and one is what I believe to be original. They twist on and are tight but definately vent because I have had gas run out on a hot day when parked leaning the wrong direction. Never had what I would consider to be a pressure problem. Just my experience, good luck.
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

Sometimes in the summer, the vapor pressure builds up so high in my truck that the seal lifts up and the pressure lets loose in a loud squeal. It seems ridiculous, but it seems that this is just the way these trucks are. I wish the tank had an overflow barf can like a radiator, with a vent line from the top of that... that would be slick.

I'm pretty much sick of the cab tank and some day want to build myself a big tank/ toolbox in the front of the bed.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage