Door Hinge Pin replacement

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

61ford

Door Hinge Pin replacement

Post by 61ford »

i got my new door pins today from dennis carpenter and there just a factory style replacement and i looked around appears everyone else sells the same pin. so what is everyone else doing on rebuilding there hinges? i had thought about trying to find pins like for a chevy that are oversize and boring everything out for it?
Ryan

61 Ford f100 Unibody short bed
351w/Aod
64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

If you need oversize then I would drill and buy bronze bushings. I thought our hinges already had the bronze bushings, but I did not check.

Rich
61ford

Post by 61ford »

i went and looked at the bushings and doesnt appear to be removable but my wear is actually in the hinge itself i guess nearly 50 years of it riding back in forth. so ive done some digging and found a pin that would be "oversize" for our trucks but is designed to be a oversize pin for a 56 ford so im going to go get a drill press and a reamer and try that route
Ryan

351w/Aod
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

While you are rebuilding hinges, consider making them greasable. This design is for Mustang but might work...

http://www.mustangsteve.com/hinge.html
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

Money you ENJOY wasting is NOT wasted money...
61ford

Post by 61ford »

man i wish i had seen that before just by glancing at it i bet you could buy those pins and sleeves for that mustang and just reem the f100's and use those greasable pins
Ryan

351w/Aod
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

I have some extra slick doors...I'll have to look and see if they are candidates. Biggest problem I see on the slick is the actual hinge is way inside there somewhere, making it hard to get to a zerk. Plus, since the doors are tall and skinny, and the hinges are far apart, rather than like the Mustang where the doors are long and narrow and the hinges are close together, the darn hinges just do not wear out nearly as fast.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

loosrp

Post by loosrp »

You can use the DC cut to fit replacement pin and take the hinges to a shop that installs bronze valve guide liners. The SBC liners can be perfectly honed by the machinist to fit the pins. One tip is to cut the pins to length BEFORE you have the machine work done as they are a bit larger diameter on th small end which you don't need it all anyway.
Last edited by loosrp on January 27, 2011, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
William-in-St George

Hinge Pins

Post by William-in-St George »

Ordered new pins at FASTENALL, 10 pin minimum purchase. $17.00. Went across the street to the machinest, he will install valve guide liners (not valve guides), liners. No high tech tools needed. He reamed out the pin hole on the center section of the hinge, installed the guide and reamed it to fit the 11/32 door pin. Basically I have zero slop in my hinges. The valve guide liner was the surprise. I thought a valve guide would solve the problem and it may, but valve guides are 3/8th OD and installing them would really thin out the end of the hinge center section. The valve guide liner is about 30 thousanths thick and the install removes very littel original metal. This deal cost about $50.00 bucks in total. Use 3in1 oil for a six month lube and these will out last me for sure.
William-in-St. George
61ford

Post by 61ford »

couldnt find any actually for a sbc. who wouldve thought there would be anything for a sbc advance doesnt carry but what bout these looks like same thing

http://www.goodson.com/store/template/p ... 9b3e1551fa
Ryan

351w/Aod
TxSlick66

Post by TxSlick66 »

You need flanged bushings to do it right. McMaster-Carr carries them. That is what I use in my Mustang kits.
TxSlick66
aka MustangSteve

loosrp

Post by loosrp »

Looks like them, to bad it's for 16.. The machine shop charged me 75 to do the job, to do this yourself a hone will be required to size the liner after it's installed
William-in-St George

Liners

Post by William-in-St George »

61Ford. Those are the ticket! Truck hinges are very strong as is and usually only show a little wear after 40+ years. Problem is a little wear at the hinge pin equates to a lot of slack when you are adjusting the doors. These liners and a new set of door pins will solve the problem for decades and don't cost much at all! If you have a reamer and an arbor to install them you could do this yourself with a hand drill.
William-in-St. George
61ford

Post by 61ford »

sweet ill get them ordered! i figured id have to buy 16 oh well guess ill have some extra for a future rebuild
Ryan

351w/Aod
61ford

Post by 61ford »

well i got my bushings and pins and i picked up a drill press the other day anyone know what size reamer ill need to reem out the brass bushings
Ryan

351w/Aod