transmission

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

64slick

transmission

Post by 64slick »

okay, so I bought this 84 f150, boy what a bucket of rust, however, the drive train is good and complete, $100.oo, all I really wanted was the pumpkin in the rearend, I have 4.11's in the slick now the 84 has 3.08's will be swapping them this weekend, but was wonderin, will my 3speed tranny bolt up to the bellhousing on this 300-6? was also wonderin, do they make a front motor mount bracket for the 300-6 to mount it in a 64?
64slick (Tom)
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

The motor mount from a 65/66 Big Slick (F-350 & bigger) with 240/300-6 will work. As far as the bellhousing it won't bolt up, what kinda tranny is in the donor? Why not just use it?
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Truckfarmer

Post by Truckfarmer »

Before you get too involved, the 84 probably has 31 spline axles. Harvest what you want off the truck and sell or scrap the rest for profit. Currently scrap is about $200/ton so you won't lose any money. The seat will bolt into your Slick if you use the old seat tracks. The 300 is a great motor and as gas prices rise more, the more I wish I had one in my Slick. The 9" rearend has value as they quit making them in 1986.
If you drove a Ford, you wouldn't need a good wrench!
Garbz

Post by Garbz »

Change to a transverse engine crossmember. Use a FE unit with 300 motor mounts. The FE and 300 towers are the same on 65 up just in holes further back. The use the bell and the rear transmission mount. You will need a 3 speed from a 65 up to fit the new bell housing. Pattern changed on the transmissions 64 to 65.

Never ran into 3.08 ratio in a nine inch? Are you shure it is a nine or is it a 8.8 corporate?

If you want to use all stock brakets you wll need to locate a 65 up F350 or larger that came equipped with a 300. it will have the front bracket to mate the 300 to the frame and the correct bellhousing to use the bell mounts along with the correct bolt pattern for the transmission. Take everything from this truck you can find including the clutch equalization shaft and frame and block mount.

The above is not the easy way as they are getting harder to find.

Garbz