Graduating in the Morning. Need Job. LOL

A place for discussion of off topic subjects. Pretty much anything goes - just keep it civil, please!

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

blackagatha

Graduating in the Morning. Need Job. LOL

Post by blackagatha »

Hey guys!

I'm graduating tomorrow morning with a MASTERS of SAFETY SCIENCE, From Embry Riddle.

Unlike the trend from years past when 95% of students were hitched up to a job BEFORE graduation, maybe 10% (one person of the 11) has a job this year. I am NOT one of them, or I wouldn't be writing this plea! HEHE

Does anybody have a potential need for a "Safety Professional" at their work, or any idea of "local" (anywhere) companies that could possibly be looking for somebody?

Maybe your friends know something? I'm trying to cast my holey net as wide as possible and come up with something. I'll even eat the dolphin I catch in the tuna net right now, I dont care!!!! hahaha

The degree was tailored to be directed towards aviation, but is flexible enough that it is useful and (apparently desirable) by every niche of industry.

THANKS for -anything-

Frank
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

No I don`t!, but Congratulations all the same!, well done Frank!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!
66 f100 tabletop swb 351 Clevo C6 "Beryl"

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
Slick Stock 8.............................. cry.gif
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Congratulations Frank,

What exactly does a "Safety Professional" do?
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

My congratulations as well and I'll keep my eyes and ears open for any opportunities, I don't think any of our 4 facilities is looking right now but I'll check Monday and see if there are any openings at the other 3 just to be sure.
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
ABA

Post by ABA »

Aww, so ya want to be the dreaded "Safety Man" that's always lurking out of sight trying to catch me not using the prober lock/out tag/out precedure while I'm trouble shooting that evil tire curing press. :twisted: :wink:

Check with major tire manufacturers like Bridgestone/Firestone, Goodyear, Michelin...etc or even the maintence contactor companies like UGL/Unicco and Austin. They are the main 2 in my area.

I'll keep an ear out. The safety men we got now have been here a few years and that position has a pretty good turn over rate. I can't count on one hand how many we've had in the last 10yrs.
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Frank, Congrats on your graduation. It may not seem like it now, but a college grad has a better opportunity to earn more in life than most folks without them. With that in mind, I would suggest you check on ... www.usajobs.gov ... .
It covers a lot of territory and if there is any place that has Safety related jobs it would be in there. Good luck in your career hunting. TR
Rest in Peace Cam

65 F100 Flatbed
64 F100 Short Styleside
63 F100 Short Wrongbed
61 Shortbed Uni Parts Truck
  • May Angels Fly With You
    Where Ever You Roam
    And Guide You Back Safely
    To Family And Home.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Truckrat wrote:It may not seem like it now, but a college grad has a better opportunity to earn more in life than most folks without them. TR
I`m sorry Garry!, but I think that is a load of S$&t, mostly put out there by those with one!, why does a Police officer need a university degree?, and no offence Frank, or even a OH&S person!. I work with educated idiots every day in the building industry, 4 years at Uni and they think they know everything!. The only thing they know how to do is shuffle paper! and the buildings are built by tradesmen, while they aren't looking!. Don`t get me wrong!, I do think a good education is important! but we all can`t be brain surgeons!, I only had 10 years schooling then 5 years at tech( part time), I have poor comprehension skills and use spell check but I`m doing alright!, thanks for listening to my rant!
Honey, If I say I`ll fix something I will, there`s no need to remind me every 6 months!!

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
macgiobuin

Post by macgiobuin »

Volkswagen and Gestamp have recently built brand new plants in Chattanooga, TN. Amazon is currently building TWO new distribution plants in the area that should be open by this fall. ALL are currently hirinig. If you're willing to re-locate, jobs are available.
My Baby: 1966 F100
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

First off, CONGRATS!

You can look here: http://www.bombardier.com/en/aerospace/ ... ortunities

For others:

Degrees are more of a fast track to a good job. In engineering, a 4 year degree is like 10-15yrs experiance if you work your way up from the production line. :shock:

HOWEVER. The fast track doesn't always weed out the "not smart" people. :D

That said, education is important...on the job OR through a book. You need to have a little of both. :wink:
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Obsa
United States of America

Post by Obsa »

Dan,

Your last two lines speak volumes

Frank,

Their is a Parelli Tire plant here in Rome, GA.

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/jobposit ... ?step=init
As my dad used to say, somewhere there was a horse that died a painful death from terminal constipation due to missing a key part of its anatomy.
Max
United States of America

Post by Max »

Plenty of safety jobs in the petrochemical/refineries here in Texas. I have no idea who's hiring but there are a lot of companies that require the position.
"If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

1964 Ford F100
1967 US Army M416
ABA

Post by ABA »

Alan Mclennan wrote:
Truckrat wrote:It may not seem like it now, but a college grad has a better opportunity to earn more in life than most folks without them. TR
I`m sorry Garry!, but I think that is a load of S$&t, mostly put out there by those with one!, why does a Police officer need a university degree?, and no offence Frank, or even a OH&S person!. I work with educated idiots every day in the building industry, 4 years at Uni and they think they know everything!. The only thing they know how to do is shuffle paper! and the buildings are built by tradesmen, while they aren't looking!. Don`t get me wrong!, I do think a good education is important! but we all can`t be brain surgeons!, I only had 10 years schooling then 5 years at tech( part time), I have poor comprehension skills and use spell check but I`m doing alright!, thanks for listening to my rant!
You are so right Alan. I work with educated idiots everyday. Plenty of "book smarts" but 0 common sense. And don't get me started on the "service techs". Company pays for thier tools, Snap-On, gives them a box loaded with over 5g worth of tools and what do most of them grab to do a job....adjustable wrench and a pair of channel locks. Erks the hell out me. :x Or they'll ask to borrow my tools because thier box is at the other end on the line.....excuse me but I BUY my tools to make MY living not yours!
Engineers, well if they could do the job they wouldn't be engineers. The best engineers are they ones that started out doing the manual labor and worked their way up the ladder.
The ones with that piece of paper I like to mess with. like that one time I told one I needed a PVC loop to connect some PVC pipe that wouldn't line up. Yes he reached for the phone to order it and I couldn't contain myself. :lol:
'01 F150 Lightning
490RWHP
Gas Mileage? What's that?
Jerry
Truckrat
United States of America

Post by Truckrat »

Well guys, I certainly see your point on this. But if you go back and read mine again it says Most, not all. I am not a college grad although I did go to college for 3 & 1/2 years, I did it part time. As for the educated idiots, they are all over. Worst part of that is they do stupid things thinking they are helping the people doing the job instead of talking with the guys and asking what they need to do the job. I have a cousin in Louisiana who went to college for 4 years studying Mechanical Engineering, but spent his summers building and racing dirt track cars with his dad. He went into school with a real good education on how stuff bolts together and what it takes to build, race, and repair stuff when it breaks. Now he is an engineer for a big outfit but knows the ins and outs of what it takes to get a job done. Not a lot of those guys around like him which comes back to "educated idiots." Wish there were more guys out there who came up through the hands on work and became engineers so they would be a lot more helpful. Now as for the money side of it, they pay those kids way too freakin' much money coming straight out of school before they have seen them prove their worth. Sad thing is, guys like us who have been there and done the work and make a decent amount of money and have been at it for 20, 30, or more years still don't get paid what a lot of those still wet behind the ears boys start out at with some of those big outfits. Most of them couldn't pour water out of a boot with the directions on the heel. Still it is a fact that because they got hired right out of college, they start out making a lot more than they would if they had only graduated high school. Doesn't mean they are worth it. Far from it. And it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them wash out and get fired because they have no work ethic. I see kids hire in where I work and BS their way along, but simply don't have the experience it takes to do the work. All they want to do is goof off. They are usually gone within the first year. In the private sector they'd be gone in a week. We are all on the same page here guys. Didn't have any idea I would get some of you riled up over a statement about education. And not all college grads make a lot of money. Some can't even find jobs. Frank should be able to get work in a lot of places since he is a Safety Man. No offense Frank, but I hate those guys. Been busted by them a few times at work and over really stupid rules. Anyhow, it is sad that we have to deal with clueless people who make more money than we do who don't even get their hands dirty.
TR
Rest in Peace Cam

65 F100 Flatbed
64 F100 Short Styleside
63 F100 Short Wrongbed
61 Shortbed Uni Parts Truck
  • May Angels Fly With You
    Where Ever You Roam
    And Guide You Back Safely
    To Family And Home.
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

Your right Garry!, you did say most! and that is probably correct!, I sometimes look at multi story office blocks!, and wonder what they all do in there!, nothing ever seems to come out of them!.

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

thanks for your input guys. Sorry I never wrote back before now, I've been busy. I'll plan to look into the prospects you listed.

LOL.... Y'all hate the safety guys. reasonably so. I cant really envision enjoying the enforcement of bullshit rules and catching people. I'd rather be involved with accident investigation, prevention, and catching the really heinous stuff.

I actually kinda like the idea of being tasked with keeping people from killing their dumb a$$es. I already do it all the time. lol just the other day I suggested to a guy that he might think about removing the Baseball Bat from the DASHBOARD of his car!!!! lol Imagine what that would do to you if you got rear ended!!!!!

I actually kinda agree on the college degree proves nothing point. At a certain level, I do wonder what the hell i got out of it, and if it was Really worth the $150k in debt, not including all the out of pocket from my folks....
Real world experience is definitely what counts. I hope I can hack it out there, I've heard most safety guys have to really work to convince the company of their worth to get their next check. That's obviously not the case everywhere, and hopefully i get a gig thats a little more certain..... lol

lol there's actually an Anti College education campaign being started by the owners of Amazon and Facebook.... lol. Giving "scholarships" to kids with great ideas like they had Not to go to college. Kinda weird, but they have their points.
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
macgiobuin

Post by macgiobuin »

Amazon.com is talking about another 2 distribution plants in Tennessee and Kentucky....apply on-line.
My Baby: 1966 F100
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Check on line Boeing is hiring at all their plants. Your degree would be a plus with them. I retired from Boeing its a good company to work for.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus
slick4x4
United States of America

Post by slick4x4 »

my son just graduated from college this spring
he plans on getting into the Peace Corps
3 months of preparing - 24 months of duty
i guess they pay off quite a bit of college debt

going across the big water is not for me.... but he looks forward to it
'' I think what scares me the most about you guys is that I understand you '' ..... KID
'' lookin good, a little paint adds at least 100hp!'' ....... COOTER
'' well an old guy can dream cant he? ''............ICEMAN
''I would donate organs before selling my slick''........ HOOFBEAT RACER
Alan Mclennan
Australia

Post by Alan Mclennan »

slick4x4 wrote:my son just graduated from college this spring
he plans on getting into the Peace Corps
3 months of preparing - 24 months of duty
i guess they pay off quite a bit of college debt

going across the big water is not for me.... but he looks forward to it
What pond is He crossing?

Slick Stock 3 KCMO
Slick Stock 4 Altoona
Slick Stock 5 KCMO
Slick Stock 6 Altoona
Slick Stock 7 Salina KS
oldtrucks
United States of America

Post by oldtrucks »

Good for him Pat. I wish more young adults would look into some kind of service for a couple of years. The Peace Corp will really be his education. He will come out of it a much better man and citizen.

It's hard to see our sons and daughters pack up and begin their life away from our protection and guiding hands but thats how we did it.
Mike Kincheloe
Mikes Old Trucks
I restore old trucks and cars

1962 UNI Short Box, Stock Y block, 4 speed Image
1972 F 250 4X4 429 4 speed Dana 70 rear
1977 F 350 Camper Special, Ranger, Super Cab
1950 F7 Cab and Chassis
1976 F150 4 Speed 4 X 4
1996 Taurus