Cab insulation

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

gearhead21

Cab insulation

Post by gearhead21 »

I had a fun day today, I put some of the bubble wrap insulation on the roof of my 65. The cutting and fitting of the stuff went pretty easily, but when I had the adhesive on things took a turn for the worse. It was like giving a cat a bath with one arm tied behind your back. It didn't get tucked in crevasses as much as I would have liked, but it looks fairly straight. I will have to piece in some small pieces but I think it should help. Good thing it was only 90 in the shop today, it could have been ugly.

I want to try to find some of that adhesive mat with the aluminum for the doors, and floor. Anyone suggest where to get some?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

I used Liquid Nails with great results.
Also, I collect magnatron circular magnets from old microwave ovens to use to keep things like that in place until the glue sets.
Magnets from old speakers work o.k. but don't seem to have the same power as the ones from the microwaves.
They also help keep your car cover in place without damaging the paint under the cover.
And finally, you don't really need to cover every inch of the inside. Just the large panels. And personally, I'd stay away from the canned foam insulation in any area where you might collect moisture, or at least be very selective about where you put it.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Ohhhh -- magnets. That is a great suggestion that I have not heard before.

My personal tip is to NOT try to use spray adhesive. Get a can of real contact adhesive instead.

I think using the magnets to hold and position the stuff "dry" and then letting 1/2 drop down and applying adhesive, glue, then move magnets to the other 1/2 and repeat. That ought to work very nice.......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!