I bought a Uni Today..........

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Greg D
United States of America

I bought a Uni Today..........

Post by Greg D »

1962 Uni LWB, nice body, no engine, and got a front clip for the 64 while I was @ it. Gonna put my 223 & 4 speed from my 64 LWB in it after I convert the brakes. I should have it on the road by next weekend. I'm going back this afternoon (got an appt to look @ a house we might "flip" @ 1:00) to help him load it on a trailer so we can bring it down here. I will get started on the brake conversion today and switch the engine & tranny in this week. I'll post pics as soon as I can.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

Cool. so are you usng the front clip off the UNI for your 64 or did you get a front clip and the uni?
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

The Uni is Home! I got the uni and the front clip from the same guy I got my 64 cab and short frame from. Lol, the extra front clip I bought from him is the one that came off of my nice 64. Funny thing is that front clip will end up on the 62 and the 62s clip will end up on the 64. I know that doesn't sound like it makes much sense but I plan to have the Uni on the road ASAP and it's front clip needs a little patching on 1 front fender (I have the patch section). I will use the best of the 2 front clips on the truck that hits the road first just to save time, seeings as the 64 is in a gazilion pieces right now I have more time to patch a fender for it, lol.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Update: Bellevue, Ne USA..... 1962 Uni under reconstruction..... It was decided that while the front clip was off that was the time to reinforce the cab mounting. The cancer has been removed from the passenger side and the improved mounts have been designed. The team is waiting on weather to resume the work. The new and improved mounts will be made from 2x3 rectangular thick wall steel tube welded to the floor section and rocker area, floor will be reinforced to the rocker area with a L section or angle iron. The organ donor is being prepared for the transplant. More updates as the story unfolds................

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Update, Bellevue, Ne USA. Passenger side mount is roughed in (needs a little finish welding) and sitting back on the rubber donut. Tomorrow the hole will be drilled from the frame horn up. Tomorrows second endeavor will be to jack up the drivers side and start surgery. Patient is recovering well and the prognosis is good.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
skippyf15

Post by skippyf15 »

How rare are uni's?
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

skippyf15 wrote:How rare are uni's?

They are had to come by in good condition, but then again...what isn't?? :lol:

They are a little more rare than the standard trucks, but not much.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
skippyf15

Post by skippyf15 »

The first one I seen I thought someone did the body work to customize it.
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Got back to work on the drivers side today after spending a day figuring out how I was gonna fix it. I cut a section from the step of the parts 64 from the rear half of the passenger side, I used this to repair the the front half of the drivers side on the uni. I made a patch for the lower section of the cowl (it was just a skeleton) and welded it on. I then reattached the little curved section to the front of the rocker lip. Next I have to hammer out 2 pieces that will make a patch for the lower A pillar I will use a piece of 3" channel to finish the bottom of the rocker/step section it still needs about a 5" long reinforcement on the bottom side. When i cut out the rusted sections the cowl slipped down in relation to the floor 1/4", I will make an inner reinforcement before I jack it back into place.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I just ordered this steering wheel for the Uni, Classic Series #832. http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Greg D wrote:I just ordered this steering wheel for the Uni, Classic Series #832. http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html

Not a bad choice, it will be fairly 'period correct'. :thumright: Getting the horn button on is always an adventure, although I've finally got it fairly well mastered. :lol:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Slickfan, I am actually going see if I can make the stock Slick horn button work even if I have to fabricate a couple of pieces.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

'Snot a bad idea! I hope you can get it to work, that would look cool. 8)
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I don't think it's going to be that hard. Going to try to use the Slick horn button attachment ring with the Grant adaptor kit.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I got the drivers side floor and cab mount finished up today, I just have to drill the holes and bolt it down. I may go ahead and get the brakes started today, I'll definately have them done tomorrow. I want to have the parts truck out of the back yard and next to the Uni tomorrow and get the engine unbolted so I can set it in Saturday. If it keeps going like this I will have it on the road Sunday! It's gonna be nice to have a Slick to drive again! :steering:

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Got the engine set in today! I will start the reassembly tomorrow. I picked up my MC and a new intake/exaust gasket today for the 223 too, I pulled the manifolds to lift the engine so the chain wouldn't stress and maybe crack them. Kinda sad to see my old 64 lwb sitting there ready to scrap, I have a few parts to pull from it and then it will be hauled off to the crusher. Before anyone who didn't see the old pics of it gets excited, trust me it not fixable.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

Well, I ended up converting the truck to a 2 piece driveshaft, this is based on reusing as many parts as I could, I have to go have the rear 1/2 shortened. It originally had a 1 piece driveshaft so there was no carrier bearing mount on the frame. I took the one of of the parts truck for it, OK this piece is riveted to the frame for those of you who haven't noticed. You DON'T want to have to remove this mount from one of these trucks without a torch - trust me on this one! Still have to finish the brake conversion, align and bolt the front clip. I will be out tomorrow getting plates for the truck because that what the city says, you have 30 days to plate a vehicle in Nebraska but apparently if someone whines you only get 3 weeks! I want to see this one explained in the law books! I should maybe call them on the carpet on this one, it IS off the street by the way.

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

First drive is coming! new brakes are hooked up just need to bleed them and check for leaks. Has a bad resitor wire from the ignition switch to the coil, I made a jumper and just have to install a resistor. New driveshaft is in, I sweated this ALL day. Lol, I measured the thing 4 times and was still worried I had made a mistake til it was bolted in, lol! Plates are on and the front clip is lined up pretty well and bolted down. It's not charging or has a short that drained the battery, I had a generator light on when I moved the other truck so I will have to check the regulator and the generator tomorrow. Then we will take the Uni for a spin! Gonna be an experience for Rose, she has never rode in a Slick. She is just facinated with this old truck, this is gonna be fun. :D

1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

Cam L Milan,