Search Engine

Got a helpful tip or trick related to your slick? Please share...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Hookedtrout

Search Engine

Post by Hookedtrout »

As I try to find answers to questions I typically like to do a search here before posting up questions to see if I can find my answer.

I'm sure it's just me and my lack of knowledge but I struggle terrible trying to search here. Any advice or tips on how to use the search engine.

My issues,

If I search, open a topic, and don't find what I need I have to start all over as you can't back up to the search list again.

I find the search isn't real specific and it doesn't seem to narrow in your specific search it just randomly finds any of the words in your search and grabs them.

Thanks for any help. Posted in the hints and tricks to help others that may have the same issues.
Cory

1962 F100 SWB Unibody, 223
1931 Ford 5 window coupe
1968 GT/California Special Mustang, 289
Complete 61 LWB Unibody parts truck with 292 Y Block
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Post by MadMaxetc »

You can use the Google advanced search and have it only search Fordtruk.com.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I have the same problems, but I find if I hit the green refresh button at the top of my page, then retry, I go back to where I started without having to retype it back in. After the second page I don't need to
John
Turk build thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
LM14
United States of America

Post by LM14 »

Once you have all the possible solutions to your search try this.

Right click on the thread you want to open, select "open in new window" and left click that. When you're done reading the newly opened thread, just close it and open another with a right click. That way you never mess with the search you opened.

SPark
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

Thanks guys. I'll go give it a try and see how well I do. I was trying to find some information on the grill trim rings and buckets and what interchanges with what. I know there was some discussion so I know it's out there we'll see how the search works. :?
Cory

1931 Ford 5 window coupe
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

All...righty...then, I tried the right click to open the topic in a new window, I like that, and I slowed down and re-read the instructions where it says to include "And" to force the search to include both words in the results. So I searched "headlight and buckets" and I found what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

From what I can see the 61 headlight buckets can be a bit different but the rest appear to be the same so my thinking I might try a 64 grill instead of the factory 62 might just work with my current buckets. I like the 62 but the 64 has the most customized look to me. We will see.
Cory

1931 Ford 5 window coupe
Rusty 63
United States of America

Post by Rusty 63 »

Also, when you're on the search results page, if instead of the right click/left click, you can just hold down the control key (CTRL) & left click on the link - this will open it in a new tab.

When reading through all of the tabbed threads, if you're in one that isn't what you need, CTRL + W closes just that tab.

I got addicted to shortcut keys when I used Lotus 123 back in the early 90s. Mouses are great, but sometimes the keys are quicker.
Hookedtrout

Post by Hookedtrout »

Our tech service manager was a Ctrl + person, he showed me a lot of the shortcuts but it's hard to convert once you are used to and in a rythm, it used to drive him nuts when he would be directing me through a series of trying to find something and he would be hit Ctrl this or Ctrl that, never could convert. :?
Cory

1931 Ford 5 window coupe