Jag suspension

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

HillBillyF100

Jag suspension

Post by HillBillyF100 »

Ok, so I have decided to entertain the possibilities of "clipping" the front of my '65...I simply don't like how high the truck sits, and now is just as good a time to clip as any...So, I went to a few salvage yards, and was able to locate a Jag. It all appears to be in good shape, near as I can tell..BUT, here is the issue...

The car was scheduled to be crushed, and it is staged in the "to be crushed" area..It currently has like 3-4 cars resting on top of it..The glass is still intact, and none of the body sections have gave way to any of the weight..BUT, the car is literally on its rockers..The weight of the other cars has appeared to seemingly compress the front springs almost completely...I don't know if another part of the frame is hitting the ground, or the suspension is on its bump stops...regardless, is this a risky buy? The guy told me he'd fish it out of the stack and let me have the whole front clip for $200..AND, he did say that IF when I come to pick it up, something appears to be damaged, then he'd give me my money back...

It looked pretty clean, and it is only the second jag front end I have even seen around here...
Thoughts...?
slickmainer
United States of America

Post by slickmainer »

--Gregg--
you can't get there from here
HillBillyF100

Post by HillBillyF100 »

slickmainer wrote:i dont know but here are a few jag threads in order of detail

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ght=jaguar

http://fordtruk.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=jag
Yes, I have read, memorized both of those...I'm just wondering if anyone might foresee any issues with that extra weight being placed on the car, compressing the suspension...

I have no idea how long the car has been subjected to that extra weight...
unibody madness
United States of America

Post by unibody madness »

I am guessing that you have little to lose.
I do not believe simple compression of a spring will harm it, its what they do. If it is scheduled to be crushed, is it has not been there long. if things are bent that should not be, you have a money back gaurantee.
Inspect the clip before you remove it, once its unstacked
Whats to lose?
Turk build thread at:
http://slick60s.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18944

It does not matter what you think, it only matters what you do about it!
HillBillyF100

Post by HillBillyF100 »

Yes, that is my thoughts...I'm not out anything, other than my time..(even though I don't have a lot of that right now) :-/

That, and the off chance that the salvage guy DOESN'T give me my money back...But I think I'd get all that in writing before hand..
rickairmedic

Post by rickairmedic »

Hillbilly Matt did a fantastic writeup on doing the Jag XJ6 front end under a 56-64 slick in the Hints and Tips section . The install will be a little differant for you as you will have to remove the factory twin I beam crosmember on your truck first but otherwise should be fairly simple .

Rick
if it aint broke fix it till it is :D
matt2491

Post by matt2491 »

I think I mentioned in the write up that the Jag I pulled mine out of was crushed under another car too. Granted, thats not 3 or 4 cars, but it was still enough weight to break the original coil springs. I put a pic in there somewhere. The good news was it didn't bend any irreplaceable parts.

I'm telling you, those Jag parts are tough. More than acceptable for truck use.
Just driving my truck.
HillBillyF100

Post by HillBillyF100 »

matt2491 wrote:I think I mentioned in the write up that the Jag I pulled mine out of was crushed under another car too. Granted, thats not 3 or 4 cars, but it was still enough weight to break the original coil springs. I put a pic in there somewhere. The good news was it didn't bend any irreplaceable parts.

I'm telling you, those Jag parts are tough. More than acceptable for truck use.
Ya, i read about that broke spring in your write-up.I just thought the spring rusted out from being buried in the mud...

I seriously might go that route...$200 seems a bit high to me, but that may just be me..
HillBillyF100

Post by HillBillyF100 »

welp, I've done the deed...well, partly...I put down a deposit, for them to know that I am serious..Once they unstack all the cars, and get the jag on the rack, then they said they'd call me...(to inspect and insure that nothing is broke...)So, for all you guys that are running these, any weak points you can think of?? Hopefully all will be well *fingers crossed!
shocker998md

Post by shocker998md »

make sure you take a boat load of pictures. I need to know what the differences will be between doing the jag clip on a straight axle truck compared to our twin I beams.

Ill be on the prowl for a clip for my 66. Are you going to lower it more with springs or anything or just run the clip?
HillBillyF100

Post by HillBillyF100 »

If you'd like, you can follow along with my install here...It is all in "real time", with the exception of a few sped up parts...But for the most part, just me, in my small garage doing the swap...Here's the link to my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/user/HillBillyF100
matt2491

Post by matt2491 »

Nice videos man! Looking forward to seeing how you go about swapping it in. You've got a bit more doin' than I did since you're working on a '65. But with the amount of video you're shooting, it'll be a really comprehensive guide when done.

By the way that donor looks to be in great shape.
Just driving my truck.
HillBillyF100

Post by HillBillyF100 »

ya, it is pretty good...It'll still need to be rebuilt, but I'll get it all secured in the truck before I get to rebuilding it...flirting with putting airbags in it..seems like it would be a breeze, but.....
And the videos run a little behind compared to where I actually am on the project...only because it takes time to edit all the vids...Right now, all that is being shown is the boring removal of the ibeams..lol
I am trying to get it all documented, but makes for a boring vid at times..
merc uni

Jag suspension

Post by merc uni »

I'm really liking this swap. Can anyone tell me the difference between the series II and III front clips? I have looked in a Moog parts book and almost every part they list is the same for both. Is there any real advantage in using one over the other ?
matt2491

Post by matt2491 »

Series II and III are identical besides some models that had bigger brake options. But for all intents and purposes, both are interchangeable.

Series I is the one you definitely don't want.
Just driving my truck.
cavinandpavin

Post by cavinandpavin »

like most every one i am also debating a swap...so since you also have a twin I truck i have a few questions pertaining to them. like are you going to cut out the old crossmember? how low do you plan on going?
No, its not a windsor or a cleveland, its a three fifty TWO!
HillBillyF100

Post by HillBillyF100 »

Yes, cutting the beefy stock cross member out is needed..I am keeping my engine in, so it is a bit harder for me, but if you had your front end off, and engine out, then this would be fairly simple...I will be posting vids very soon on my youtube channel that shows this process...But, once you get the cross members cut out, then for the most part, the rest is the same as a single axle truck...
Michelle
United States of America

Post by Michelle »

Does the Jag have the independent rear suspension too? If so I would snag that too.
Michelle

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. A Republic is a well-armed sheep.

I hope I always stay crazy, because I know if I ever become sane, it will drive me crazy.
Leeroy
Australia

Post by Leeroy »

Pretty sure it does, jag rear suspension is a popular choice for cobra replica's down here.
truckerdaddy66

Post by truckerdaddy66 »

Be sure to add another x member before you cut out main x member.
Them frame rails could walk on ya.It happened to me!
On my 4th gen. camaro front end swap!

Truckerdaddy66,New Caney,TX.