advice on oil additives

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

work2do

advice on oil additives

Post by work2do »

Do most folks use an oil additive with each tanks of gas? I am new to this old truck. It was overhauled just before I bought it. I have been using unleaded fuel ...and decided to look into oil additive. The bottle says use with each and every tank....I wondered if there might be a down side to its sporatic use, or use in general? thanks
\
Rob-"1964 f100
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Rob.
Oil additive should be used with each oil change; in the crankcase, not every tank of gas in the gas tank.
There are some "upper lube" products for valve guides and such that are added to the gas tank, but I've never really used them on a regular basis.
Oil additives should be used with older engines because they contain zinc that is missing in the new formulations and zinc helps keep you from wiping out a bearing or cam and lifters.
I do recommend that if your truck is going to sit for any length of time, put some fuel stabilizer in the tank to keep the alcohol from turning your gas.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
work2do

oil add vs. lead additive

Post by work2do »

THanks for the info on oil additive. My brain skipped ahead...I meant my early post to gain advice on lead additive to fuel to render unleaded fuel leaded again. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the info!!