Engine ID

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Weezer65

Engine ID

Post by Weezer65 »

Hey Gang,
I could use some help. This is my first post and I am a new blue oval guy. (Used to be one of those heartbeat guys) I just purchased a 65 short pickup that I was told has a 390 out of a late 60's F-250. The only stamp I can find is a 30 with a 352 underneath it If someone know where I can look on a 390, or if this is the ID...I would appreciate it. This truck has more secrets than my wife after a day of shopping.
Weezer
Dodge City, Kansas
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Weeze. About the only way you can be sure is to measure the stroke with a wooden dowel.
All FE motors look identical from the outside. However, comma, look at the casting number on the heads between the two center spark plug holes and let me know what they are. It could give us a clue.
Welcome to the Blue Oval Family. We are really glad to have you with us.
U@ss aka Uncle Skip
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Uncle Skip
United States of America

Post by Uncle Skip »

Oh yeah, you got lots of Slick "cousins" up there in Kansas. Plan to meet you next year (August '08) in K.C. at Slick Stock.
U@ss
I'm not arguing with you. I'm just explaining why I'm right.
Pardon me. Does your deaug bite?
Weezer65

Post by Weezer65 »

Uncle Skip,
Thanks for the knowledge. I will try to knock some of the grease off and see if I can find the number.
Thanks,
Weezer
cdherman

Post by cdherman »

Awful lot of 352 engines become 390 engines when being sold.

But, if its a 352, so what? Still a good engine, assuming its not buring too much oil and starts.

Howdy and welcome from me as well. Though currently I live in Missouri, I started life in western KS once upon a time. How about some pics......
1965 F-100 240 Autolite 1101, Disk brake dual master upgraded, swapped over to C4 and powersteering. Bought by my Dad new in March 65'

Planned/considered upgrades:
Perhaps power brakes, 300 I6 motor and JUST maybe, AC!
banjopicker66

Post by banjopicker66 »

Welcome to the club!

Here's the easy way to check the stroke without removing the head. Get a straight 12 inch piece of white electrical house wire or coat hanger wire. Get a magic marker. Remove the number 1 spark plug. Turn the engine over until the timing mark is at TDC. Now, put the wire in the number 1 spark plug hole with the wire resting on the top of the piston. (Because the old timing dampers sometimes will slip, the timing marks may be off. Make sure the engine is at TDC in the Number 1 hole by rocking the crankshaft back a forth a bit. When the wire is as high as it will go, it is at TDC. Once you are sure it is at TDC, continue.) Make a mark on the wire even with the lip on the valve cover. Now rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees, until the wire is at its lowest point. Mark the wire again, at the lip, and measure the distance between the two marks.

Here are the specs: 3.98 is the stroke for the 410 and 428 engines; 3.78 is the stroke for the 390, 406 and 427 engines and 3.5 is the stroke for the 352 and 360 engines.

You have uncovered one of Ford's greatest mysteries! They say there are unknown forces moving about in the vicinity of FE motors. These forces know not the effect of the work that they do, nor can they explain how they do it, it is so dark and fearful a thing.
You see, the night before sale day, these evil ones, some impish, some brutish, all descend upon their intended victim - the FE doomed for sale! Using powers utterly unknown to mankind, these ghouls of the garage perform a mighty transmogrification! YES! IT WORKS! And the lowly 352 and the shortchanged but stout little 360 are transmogrified into the MIGHTY 390!

Be careful here. 352s and 360s are indistinguishable on the outside from a 390. The plain and less desirable 352s and 360s have an eerie and mystifying ability, a phenomenon not yet scientifically understood. Upon hearing the word SALE, they are able to somehow transmogrify themselves into a radiant and powerful 390. However, the effect wears off during the first night after the SALE is completed, and they revert to their former dull selves. (Research to capture this process to make it permanent without having to rebuild the sorry things is ongoing, but efforts to date have been fruitless. It is rumored that the Mechanics' Engine Rebuilders Cooperative "MERCs" has interfered with the testing laboratories, believing the discovery will cost jobs, but no proof is yet forthcoming. Details at 11.)

Of course their powers have only the 30-30 guarantee: 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first! Unfortunately, once you get it home your MIGHTY SUPER HERO 390 deflates to an underdog. ppptthhpphptphpptphpthphtpthh. ppth.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Nice! :laughing:

Welcome to the site, Weezer65. welcome.gif We'd love to see some pics, if ya can. :D
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
Sonny's 66

Post by Sonny's 66 »

Uncle Skip, I also am new to the slicks. I picked up my 66 F100 from one of my favorite uncle's that passed away about 2 years ago. My aunt wanted me to have it because she knew that I would do it right. I used to run a performance shop here in Arlington, Texas. Just like Weezer, the vin tells me that my truck came with a 352 but on the front of my block there is stamped a 352 with a 26 above it. The valve covers have thunderbird stamped on them. I am really hoping that this is a 390 from a thunderbird. The casting between the spark plugs looks to read C8AE-R or maybe CBAE-R or it may even be a C8AE-B. I really hope that you guys guys can help.

Like I said before I used to run a import performance shop. I still perform a lot of install duties to some of my customers but my connection in the business will help me on this slick project. I plan on this being one of the most unique while subtle builds that you guys may see.
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

If the motor has never been changed with a lot of grease, grime, oil and age on it you can bet 99% that it is a 352 from the 65-67 trucks, sometimes by the coil you might still see the little tag by coil that has 352 stapmed on it
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
FORDBOYpete

Post by FORDBOYpete »

:iagree: W/ John & CD 352s vassilate during the sale, but never wind up bigger than what they really are at the day after the sale. :hm: :rotflmao: :shock: :lol:

Even 332~360~390~401~406~407~410~ 427 & 428 came with cast number 352. That is the engine block style/type, not the CID or displacement of the engine. They are FE Style type 352 engines. As was mentioned by my friends here, the only real way to be sure is measure the stroke of the engine you have like they say. . . . Alas, it's true!

AND May I add my: :hello: welcome.gif Welcome to Slick 60's folks :welcome:

FBp Bolt.gif
Change is the Only Constant
6166 Junkyard Dog
United States of America

Post by 6166 Junkyard Dog »

Or pull the pan and get the crank Id # and will tell the whole story,, thats the only way we do it here because of bored motors will mis lead you
Tom,
@
Lazy FORD Ranch
Where Ford Trucks Rest in Peace

Dakota,,, RIP will never be the same looking for 61-66 trucks again ,, :cry: Kathy :cry:
Slickstock,,, York, PA
Slickstock,,, Kansas City, MO
Slickstock,,, Altoona, IOWA
Slickstock,,, Salina, KS

Now Cooper will try his best :lol: :lol:

Cooper now has 2018 Slick Stock,, give him a fair star :lol:
Slickstock Kansas City, Mo
Sonny's 66

Post by Sonny's 66 »

Hey guys,

Thanks for your input. I did find the engine tag and I did a stroke measurement. It is undoubtedly a 352. I was hoping for a 390 but oh well. I did and still do a lot of performance work so I know how to get the power out. I just need you guys insite on what you guys think of the 352 and what you have seen it do with your mods.