Hahahaha !!! One for the Old Dogs !!

The place to talk Slicks. All we ask is that discussion has something to do with slicks...

Moderators: Kid, Casey 65

Bodyworx

Hahahaha !!! One for the Old Dogs !!

Post by Bodyworx »

My Wife is constantly nagging and teasing me about my urge to drive "Old Beat Up Stuff " Ha .... well today my friends, was a victory for all old vehicles. Both of our Vehicles were on E so i decided to challenge her to a Fuel mileage dual that i was sure i was going to lose. To make it fair i set it up so that no matter how big the tank we would both put $50.00 in the tank at $3.52 a gallon and see who rode the farthest.

My Vehicle : 1964 Ford F-100 ( 223 IL 6 / 3 Spd manual )
Her Vehicle : 2004 Mazda 6 (3.0-liter 24 Valve Dual-Overhead-Cam V6 with variable valve timing / 5Spd Auto )

We both got about 14.2 Gallons

My Vehicle went 341 miles ( With a Bad Carb )( Approx 24 MPG AVG )
Her Vehicle went 285 miles ( Approx 20 MPG Avg )

So my question is ... Are we really getting better or worse at producing fuel efficient cars ?

My Truck still runs like shit and outperformed her car by 4 MPG. I think we need to go back and simplify our vehicles. What isnt there cant weigh you down and cant break. So why did they stop making Inlines again ?

Hahahaha !!! V6 my ........ !!!
RED

Dirtier Than A Trailer Park Love Story
blackagatha

Post by blackagatha »

hahaha that is awesome... I did notice that my 223 went to the gas station on a less frequent occasion than my 390, but that's to be expected.... That was my progress in time... haha I don't know WHAT they're doing these days... something seems wrong...
'63 with 390 & lots of juice. But never enough. Always want more.
ImageImageImage
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

ROFLMAO! I when I have the choice have also been driving the Uni because it gets better mileage then the 05 GT (in town). Also the 05 GT needs to have Premium or the fuel mileage suffers notably.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Slick Fan

Post by Slick Fan »

Cool! :lol:

Now have a grocery hauling challenge & see who can bring home more bags. :rotflmao:
My "Slickitis" affliction began here...

66 F100 CC/65 F100 CC/66 F250 CC
If it starts to rain, they'll tax the splash.
If you want to fish, they'll tax the bass.
If you plant a yard, they'll tax the grass.
If you don't play nice, they'll fine your *$#!
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

hehe nice :D

how do you have that 223 setup? what rearend are you running, anything special on it? how many rpms and what speed do you cruise at?

my little '62 F100 223 gets about 14MPG, stock oil bath air cleaner and pretty worn out getting around 6.5:1 compression
Bodyworx

Post by Bodyworx »

Honestly i cant answer all those Q's cause i dont know. My Rear end is a mystery that i havent gotten to yet. I recently installed a new coil and plugs and wires Cap and rotor. I filed a very small V shaped notch in the electrrode of my plugs to widen my spark after a buddy of mine that i used to Drag Race with got a huge improvement in his quarter mile time. I opened up the Gap to about .040 on my plugs. The Specs say something rediculous like .028-.032. IMO that is way too small. I ditched my 6.5mm Wires cause i dont care what they say about wires .... I have always found the thicker the better. Now i installed some 8.5mm wires. Huge difference in spark. Larger cores equals less resistance. Use race wires ... they have better Amperage flow than stock wires.

My Carb is a piece of garbage and i was honestly shocked that i beat her. The Mixture screw housing is cracked and its running pretty rich which i compensated for by creating a vacuum leak by the PCV valve. Until i find a carb for parts that was my best bet. I went through the entire Drive line and greased everything to reduce Drag.

My Rear end is a Ford 9 Inch. The Ratio .... I have no idea but i know its small. Like a 2: ? You have to rev the motor pretty good to get it going. I try not to ever Lug my motor and prefer to run in a lower gear unless im on an open road. I never go over 60 MPH cause i'm unsure of one of the 5000 U-Joints on my truck. Its suspect to me.

Im also running an Oil Bath Air cleaner cause they work great if they are properly maintained. No one wants to do maintenance anymore.

Anyone got a 1bbl Holley they want to sell ? The Ford Part Number is #C3TZ-9510-AG I only need the baseplate with the mixture screw setup.

Points have been opened up a little to but i never measure them. I always Eyeball them.

RED

64 f100

Post by 64 f100 »

Have you adjusted the valves on your engine?

Rich
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

that is an awfully good lookin' truck you got there :)

I need to go through my truck from top to bottom soon.. king pins, valve adjustments, leaking oil adapter, change the oil, etc etc. Waiting on the 47 plymouth I'm working on to get off the hoist before I can get to it though.

Thanks for the info, afraid I dont have a spare carb for you though. I have an old zenith 1bbl on my 63 F100 is the only spare carb I have.
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Re: Hahahaha !!! One for the Old Dogs !!

Post by MadMaxetc »

Bodyworx wrote:So my question is ... Are we really getting better or worse at producing fuel efficient cars ?

Good to hear you are getting good milage!

Gas mileage is only one thing though...
I bet you put out 5 times the smog as his did.
That is also an Auto vs Manual, that is not all that fair.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
jeffw

uni,,

Post by jeffw »

yup they are exceelent on fuel,, I'll agree!! did anyone ever try that E-85
fuel in their rig?? if so how did it perform? would it be bad for the older carbed engines?? after all it is cheaper than the other stuff,,
rbcyouthdude

Post by rbcyouthdude »

that sure is one ugly truck, tell you what! I'll come get it and park it in my yard. Make sure you send the title and keys. I guess I can stand having it in my yard!

You know I'm jealous right? I mean joking!

Michael
MadMaxetc
United States of America

Re: uni,,

Post by MadMaxetc »

jeffw wrote:yup they are exceelent on fuel,, I'll agree!! did anyone ever try that E-85
fuel in their rig?? if so how did it perform? would it be bad for the older carbed engines?? after all it is cheaper than the other stuff,,

E85 is Alcohol. It will eat up stock gasgets, hoses, etc...

You also would have to change the timming so you couldn't just switch between the 2.
Dan
Project: '63 F-100 LWB / 460 / C6 / 2x4
My Build Thread
Greg D
United States of America

Post by Greg D »

I have a 223 that I have been running for about 3 + years. Take my advice keep on top of the valve adjustment, if they get too loose the pushrods can jump out and they will bend. Other than that the darn engine will basically run forever.
1964 F 100 - I am going to do "something" with it.......

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15942

1987 Mustang LX Convertible, 2.3 Auto - cruiser.
1994 F 150 XLT 2WD

~ Yes - I adopted another cat..............

Cam L Milan,
You'll be missed my friend.
Bodyworx

Post by Bodyworx »

So far i like the 223. My Only complaint is it is so damn slow. Im also used to driving Drag Cars and my everyday car is a Formula Firebird so i guess its not a fair comparison. I was told by an old timer at a gas station the other day that the Ford 223 was used in a variety of Industrial applications because of its durability. He told me his old woodchipper used a 223 and when the chipper wore out he sold the motor. I have not adjusted the valves yet but thats on my to do list. As with any old vehicle there is a lot on my to do list.
The truck looks a lot cleaner in the photo than it is but its solid and all there and everything works. Im havin fun with it. People stare like your driving a spaceship. The truck is 10 years older than me but i like the reaction i get from the old timers and kids.
RED